Topic

Fleece warmer than High Loft?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fleece warmer than High Loft?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Is there a version of fleece that is warmer than Polartec High Loft?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

no

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I think that depends on how you define fleece.
    I have an old TNF jacket made with Polartec 1000, which is no longer made [ it’s like 2 layers of 300 laminated together] and it is very warm, but also very stiff and heavy.
    If the term “fleece” is broadened to include “pile” then there are many products warmer but again with a weight penalty.
    Perhaps ThermalPro offers the best combination of weight Vs warmth tho.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

This thread led me to visit Polartec.com where I noticed a fabric I had never seen, Power Air.  No idea where it fits in the warmth spectrum, but interesting that Polartec is attempting to address the shedding in plastic fabrics.  Or is this just marketing spin?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Alpha Direct is the warmest/weight fleece.  It’s basically High Loft with a looser weave so basically the same.

Charles
    BPL Member

@antopologuiste

Paul is right with Alpha direct.

This thread led me to visit Polartec.com where I noticed a fabric I had never seen, Power Air.  No idea where it fits in the warmth spectrum, but interesting that Polartec is attempting to address the shedding in plastic fabrics.  Or is this just marketing spin?

Its definetly on the heavier side. I have “light warmth” power air lying around. It feels as heavy or heavier than classic 200 fleece for much less warmth. I believe it is an attempt at creating a more durable, less shedding, gridded fleece equivalent (warmthwise), but with a weight penality.

All in all, definetely on the low end of the warmth spectrum

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Did you see the fleece article by Stephen Seeber on the homepage? Variety of fleeces, including Thermal Pro and Alpha tested.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools