Topic

Fleece Pants – help me with a warm midlayer

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fleece Pants – help me with a warm midlayer

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Evan G
    BPL Member

@jidaran

I’m heading to the Dacks in a few weeks for two nighter, and I’m trying to improve my pants layering system.  In the past (with temps from 12 degrees to 30) I’ve worn the following: Smartwool 250 base layer + Prana Stretch Zion + Patagonia Snow Shot (the Patagonia’s are not insulated).  For hiking and skiing, I found the Prana’s plus the snow pants to do a good job.  At camp and in the tent though, I was getting a little cold.  I was thinking of adding a pair of fleece (or otherwise insulated) pants to the mix.  I’d wear the base layer + fleece pants in the sleeping bag.  Around camp I would wear base layer + fleece + snow pants.

Originally I was hoping for an affordable (<$60) pair of pants that will add substantial warmth, but fit snug enough to work as part of a layering system.  Doing some research, I saw that the Patagonia R1, Patagonia Nanopuff, and Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer are generally well regarded.  Are they worth the extra coin?  Right now I’m leaning towards the GW, as I found it on sale for $144 and it would definitely have the best warmth to weight ratio.  I’m wondering though how well it would layer under my snow pants.

What say the experts?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I don’t know if a pair of these will fit under your outer shells, but I absolutely love the 2 pair of REI Teton fleece pants I picked up on sale before Christmas. They seem to be 200 wt. fleece. I have worn this pant for a number of years, but the current model seems to be thicker and warmer than those from the past. The regular price is around $60 per pair.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I run a lot warmer than most people, so take my advice with that in mind. ~30F and above I find I am fine with just the Stretch Zions. Below ~0F down to the teens I am good with lightweight REI base layers and the Pranas.  Teens down to zero or so I really like the Patagonia R1 pants with the Pranas. Below zero I throw the lightweight baselayer back in and will occasionally use the nanopuff pants, too. Sounds to me like the R1’s would be perfect for your usage and expected temps. They layer great, like a heavyweight base layer.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I have a pair of Mont-Bell UL Down pants and they are really nice, but I find they don’t get used a whole lot with my hiking style.  I tend to hike all day then quickly set up camp, eat, and get in the sleeping bag, particularly if it’s cold.   I also have a pair of R1 tights that I got on sale years ago and they are nice, but I only paid $35 and they probably wouldn’t be worth the retail price.  I bought them direct from Patagonia but I think they might have been intended for the military as they are alpha green and are made in the USA (Barry compliant).

Sierra Trading Post has some Kenyon Polartec Power Stretch tights for under $20.  I think they are made in the USA too.  My wife has a pair of the women’s versions and really likes them.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Without considering myself and expert, my recommendation would be to use 100wt fleece pants as part of your layering system. Easy to find as PJ pants any retail store for about $15 give or take. You may already have them… Those are enough for me to 0F. If you feel you need more warm, you may find 200wt fleece for significantly less money than the items you mentioned ($25), and they should layer quite easy under the baggy ski pants. I don’t think the Patagonia R1 would be any warmer. Of course, the 100wt will pack smaller, but give less warmth.

If I were going to spend $150 on insulated pants, I would look at Goosefeet down pants. For about $200 you should be able to get a much warmer, durable product than the two mentioned. But I am biased. I prefer down to synthetic insulation in most conditions–love fleece though, particularly in wet circumstances.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

If the UL layer fits under the pants you already use as a wind layer then I would hazard that any of the LW fleece pants would work, as advised above by iago; obviously if pull-ons they need to fit over your boots etc but if buying insulated pants then the extra weight and cost of full length zippers is worth it IMO.

You can save weight by cutting the bottom third of any cheap pants as it is the section from the crutch to just below the knee that gives the most extra warmth and as I often advise surplus M-65 winter liners are the biggest bang for your dollar if you intend to wear them under your wind shell pants. 1 Clo plus airspace is a reasonable insulation boost

CARLOS C.
    BPL Member

@lamboy

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Dont write off the Military Surplus Tan R1 bases.   What will and will not fit under your shells without compression will drive a lot of your choices. Keeping in mind compression of down as it can bring down the thermal efficiency of down pants.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

“I’m heading to the Dacks”

I laughed when I read this.

In Australia “dacks”  is slang for pants.

So you want some dacks to take to the dacks!

Sorry for the cultural digression.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

FYI AliExpress sells fleece softshell pants for around $20, probably 200 weight.  They take a while to get to the US.  Also the sizing is weird, I take XXL or XXXL and have a 36″ waist. When in doubt move a size up, as their sizing charts are not terribly accurate.

The pair I got seem fine, reasonably well made, not too much different from my wife’s way more expensive Columbia softshell pants.  Will give them a try X-C skiing in the ADKs in two weeks.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I like @iago’s advice – any cheap 100-200 wt fleece pant will be just fine. I’d use these as long johns, and skip a thin base layer, so your 3-layer pant system would be the fleece pant, the Prana’s (I love these pants too!), and the outer Patagonia pant.

Evan G
    BPL Member

@jidaran

Turns out that Ghost Whisperer deal takes almost 2 weeks to deliver, so that’s off the table.

I do have some fleece PJs, which are pretty warm.  The problem is that they’re sort of baggy with big pockets and don’t layer well at all.  I might swing by Target this weekend and grab something that fits a little more snug.  Maybe I’ll get some R1s in the future if there’s a end of season sale, or eventually some down pants if the fleece doesn’t do the trick.

I always love when the forum advice is “buy the cheap thing” :)  Thanks guys!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

FLEECE LINED PANTS:

1. Duluth Trading-> durable nylon fabric cargo pants with light (100 weight) fleece lining. Excellent quality for the money (around $80.+)
    2. Rail Riders-> Again, nylon fabric cargo pants with light fleece lining but almost 2X the price of Duluth Trading’s “Dry on the Fly” fleece lined pants.

I feel both these pants are actually of equal quality. Both have great features and both are warm, especially worn over mid weight to “polar weight” long johns.

Ryan S
    BPL Member

@rizza927

Take a look at the mountain hardwear yumalina pants, softshell outer plus brushed fleece inner plus they are supper stretchy, durable, and water resistant. Otherwise midweight baselayer plus marmot reactor pants 100 gram polartec fleece and rain/hard shell pants. Or midweight baselayer, patagonia nanopuff pants plus rain/hard shell on top.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Why not a thermal tight?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Well thermal tights are usually a combination base layer /warm layer and the OP is asking about extra warmth to use in combination with his existing system for extra warmth when static, something PowerStretch and the ilk aren’t particularly good at

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I love my Patagonia R1 pants. If u could afford them.. I would not hesitate to get them.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

One unique insulating base layer is the Under Armour Cold Gear pant. It utilizes reflective infrared technology to direct your body’s heat back to itself. The material doesn’t breathe all that well, so it might get a bit clammy inside when you are exerting. But it also works somewhat well as a wind-proof layer, and it’s fairly warm. At times I have used both the top and pants, and I also use my beanie and/or balaclava during windy snowshoe outings. For me, this stuff is best during the windy cold of winter, but it can also be used during the other 3 seasons. If the temperatures will be 40* F or higher, I prefer to use something that breathes better.

Edit: By the way, if anyone wants to go with these (top or pants), be sure to size way up. They are designed to be compression apparel. I normally wear size L, but I had to go with XXL for a comfortable fit. Try them on in a store first…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools