Topic

Fleece hoodie…R1 or something else

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fleece hoodie…R1 or something else

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

I’ll second the Haglofs LIM power dry. It will stand on it’s own on windless day down to 50F, and be a great rain buffer in a cold rain while hiking. That backcountry.com review is actually me.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Is that haglofs similar in warmth to the patagonia cap 4 or thermal weight hoody? Backcountry says 6.3 ounces for size large, when my size medium cap 4 is 8.5 ounces, and patagonia’s website says the thermal weight hoody is 7.7. ounces. Makes me wonder if the haglofs is much thinner/less warm (which is not a bad thing) especially considering its a full zip.

Edit: I just saw your post saying the material is identical to the cap 4. Do you know if your haglof is lower in weight than your cap 4?

I went ahead and ordered one because it’s 50% off with free 2 day shipping, hopefully I will use it on a trip next week and compare it to my cap 4. I really love my cap 4 but maybe this one will be better.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

@justin_baker I’m going to edit that BC review, because the Haglof’s LIM is more open that Cap 4/ Thermal Weight. I was misinformed at the time.

To see how open the Haglofs is, see this pic.

https://haglofspr.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/33898.jpg

The Haglofs on it’s own is good to 45-50F, but it really comes into it’s own under a shell. It will take me to 30F while walking, which is perfect for where and when I hike. The thicker R1 material could probably take me to 20F, which I wouldn’t need. If it’s that cold I’ll put on my Borah down jacket.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Would you be able to compare the warmth of the cap 4 and the haglofs? Would you say the haglofs is less warm?

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

That’s kind of what I was doing above. I would say the more open power grid of the Haglofs is 35% less warm than an R1.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I received my haglofs lim power dry hoody today. Here are my impressions:

It seems much thinner and less warm the patagonia capilene 4. But its also much lighter. Not a good or bad thing.

Fit is smaller and snugger than the cap 4. It fits slimmer in the forearms which is good for me, maybe not good for you if you lift weights or climb. I am in between a small and medium and the medium fits slim but not base layer snug. I will mostly use it as a second layer over a thin base layer.

I like that it’s a full zip. The zipper is very thin and light. It seems flimsy. The zipper gets caught off the track easily if you don’t zip it carefully.

Nice fitted hood, its not double layered like the patagonia.

Weight in medium is 6.7 ounces. Weight of my medium cap 4 is 8.9 ounces.

Matthew S
    BPL Member

@battlerattle

Hope my impressions were what you found as well. I love the damn thing. No issues with my zipper yet!

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I just noticed this on Sierra Trading Post.  It appears to be a 100wt fleece hoody.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mountain-hardwear-microchill-fleece-hoodie-upf-50-for-men~p~8175u/?merch=prod-sim-prod8175U

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools