Topic

First Timer….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First Timer….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

https://lighterpack.com/r/coh3ji

Hi All…

I’m an avid backpacker who stays within 3 Season with temps into the low 30’s</span>

• 49 years old (a 49er!)
    • 165 lbs and 5’9″
    • Live in Central CA and do most of my hiking in the Sierras…although spent time all over the US

I went years with no cooking and I saved a lot of weight….But….I enjoy hot food and went back to cooking…Food and water are not listed. I carry just under a pound of food per day and almost never more than 1.5 liters of water.

My two guilty pleasures are my Chair …I open it up every break and at the end of the day….I get a LOT of use out of it am committed to keeping it until gear manufactures can figure out how to build a better one that can double and triple for other things……The Sea to Summit Delta Bowl and Lid allows me to repackage all my freeze dried dinners and eat out of a real bowl.  I love not getting food on my hands from “digging” my spoon into bags and love not carrying all those empty foil bags.

I’m about to buy the following after doing lots of soul searching (All are included in the chart except the Big Agnes AXL-10 oz)

• Enlightened Quilt–Finally moving from a bag to a quilt….
    • Montbell Superior Down Parka-Believe it’s the best bang for my buck…for a 3 season down jacket
    • Petzl Bindi Headlamp at 1.2 oz to replace the 3 oz one I have now. (Out in March)
    • Big Agnes AXL-10 oz instead of the Flash at 16 oz I have now (Out in Feb)

My list…as I’m sure all of yours…changes all the time.  This is the mos recent from a 100 mile PCT hike about a month ago.

Thanks for your thoughts as I’ve really never publicly shared my gear list.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’d be curious to know what a WFR-certified person carries in their 1.8oz FAK.

Does the solar panel on that charger charge the battery well?

Your list looks good to me given that you want to bring some comfort items along. The boots seem kind of heavy but if they work for you then they work for you.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Thanks for cleaning up my post!

FAK  (So much can be used to splint, carry, tourniquet etc. from a victim’s pack–because of that I do not carry triangle bandages or wraps of any kind.  I also do not carry a Sam splint as the metal from a victim’s chair or hiking pole work just as well)

• Band-aids
    • Tweezers
    • Triple Antibiotic Cream
    • Antiseptic Towelette
    • Disposable Gloves
    • Loperamide
    • Diphenydramine
    • Advil
    • Moleskin
    • Wound Closure Strips

The battery in the solar charger gives me three 0 to 100% charges.  If I hang it on my pack when hiking and place it in full sun when I stop…well..the last 100 mile 5 day trip , it never dipped below 1/2 full.

I’ve had lots of issues with my ankle and blistering when I have tried to lighten up my boots…so I stay true to what works.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Your welcome!

Thanks for answering my questions. That battery sounds like a pretty nice solution.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

The battery is awesome.  It’s the lightest/strongest/cheapest combination I’ve come across.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools