Topic

First Tenkara Net Build.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara First Tenkara Net Build.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Jeffrey pine, deer antler, .9oz. no-see-um mesh.  Build no. 1 of course inspires all sorts of ideas on how to improve no. 2…It’s been a fun process, especially the act of preparing branches today that I might not use until next year; currently working with some manzanita.

…with a few more drying in the shop…

A few more details here.

Dreaming of summer and fishing the High Sierra now…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“Build no. 1 of course inspires all sorts of ideas on how to improve no. 2..”

The curse of DIY

Nice work

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Going meta on paleo!

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

We use 5-foot diameter nets up here for sockeye salmon, not to just land the fish, but to catch them.  Almost everyone has an aluminum one bought from a  local welder for $180 or a mass-produced one out of bent galvanized conduit for $159.

I had 1/8″ plywood left over from my stitch-n-glue kayaks and laminated a wooden frame out of multiple layers.  Total hack job, but it worked, was lighter, and neutrally buoyant in the water.  After using it for 16 years, I took the net bag off, routered the edges smooth, put some finish on it, changed the rusty galvanized hardware to stainless and reassembled it.  Good for another few decades.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

You forgot to give the weight.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

@David When my uncle took me salmon fishing up north for my first time, I thought the size of the landing nets was comical.  And then I hooked my first king salmon and understood….I have a giant aluminum salmon net as well now, purely for landing.  Anything but barbless hook and line is illegal where I fish…though we haven’t had a good season in many years.

Tenkara net weight: just right.

stephan q
    BPL Member

@khumbukat

Sweet project. I’m inspired.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools