Topic

First Sewing Project, Net Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First Sewing Project, Net Tent

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug S
    BPL Member

@dsmith1979

I’m inspired to try tarp camping but not willing yet to give up bug/splash protection.  I’ve also wanted to try to make something using my wife’s sewing machine.  This net tent is designed based on the DIY Yama Net Tent but with the ridgeline zipper opening from MLD.  The DIY flat tarp is next but I thought I’d tackle the net tent first and learn how to work with these materials.  I allowed myself 1-1/8″ seam allowance (1/2″ & 5/8″ for the flat felled seam) when planning which worked out well for me.  I’ve cut that down to 7/8″ on smaller projects.  I can’t wait to get it out this Summer (with polycryo ground sheet).

Dimensions: 84″ long, 42″ wide x 38″ tall [head end], 27″ wide x 22″ tall [foot end]

Weight: 9.5 oz

Materials: Xenon Sil 1.1, 0.67 Noseeum, Hex 70 (breathable), Gutermann MARA 70, Grossgrain, Beastie D-Rings, YKK#3 Zipper

Other: Janome DC 2010 with walking foot, Superior Threads – Titanium-Coated Topstitch Needles #80/12, 100 Sewing Clips

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Nice work. About that MLD style top entry zipper?? How do you like it? Getting in and out while under a tarp? I’ve been tempted to try one from MLD but am happy with my Borah Gear bug bivies.. It seems there is more head room? Well, nice work on making that.. Looks awesome.

Doug S
    BPL Member

@dsmith1979

I have no experience with the ridgeline zipper yet but didn’t want to crawl in the end and wanted to easily drop the net for more space under the tarp when waiting out the rain and have access to my things.  It’s not hard to get in/out but I may need to have 2 additional small lines attached to the tarp closer to my head/feet to clip the cords/mittenhooks somewhere that hold up the peaks so they don’t swing out of my reach.  This may be the reason MLD has peak tieouts positioned over the head/ankles so the bivy could be used in a shorter tarp and the lines don’t swing out of reach.  It seems that dropping one end of the tent is good enough to get in/out.  I plan on making a 9’x11′ flat tarp from the same materials for this for lots of coverage and to double as a tarp used for canoe/car camping.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

The key to MLD’s ridge line entry/exit is to drop the head end support guy, then it’s an easy task.  I had one.   Nice job on the DIY.  I’ll take one, with a third ridge loop or D-ring in the middle and a L-shaped right side zip.  I’m a side roller now just because.  ~RL

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Nicely done.  And that top entry is the way to go!!!!  So easy on tired knees and you don’t have to get muddy getting in.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools