Topic

First pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First pack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

Just went for an overnight test hike with my first myog pack. I wanted something better (read lighter) than my 4 pounds 10 ounces 85L winter pack. So I made this 100-110L light behemoth for winter overnights when I don’t want to compress my gear too much.

The design is very simple and it was a cheap build.

The fabric is PU coated 70d 210t nylon taffeta from a new TNF Mountain Manor 8 person tent footprint I snatched for $10. The straps, hipbelt and attachment points are from and old pack I had or scraps I had.

Construction was simple too. Straight stitching throughout. Made with a single pannel running from the back, bottom and front. Side pannels have a 3 inch slope at the bottom. I added a 16 inch roll top collar with a sewn in plastic pallet strapping material I had to make it easier to roll.

I have 3 rows of grosgrain running the full width 3 rows of stitching each, backed with some mid weight cordura scraps to attach the top and bottom of the belt and the straps. I used the same coated cordura to make the 7x5x2.5 hipbelt pockets.

I started by sewing the straps and the hipbelt and attachment points to the back pannel. I then pinned a side pannel inside out, stitched two rows, same thing on the other side, then the collar, flipped the pack inside out and voila!

It’s not perfectly straight, some of my attachment points are a little off, but I’m happy with it and I had fun making it. Especially the hipbelt pockets, I really like them.

1 pound 6 ounces all in. In the pictures below it is loaded with 30 pounds. A 15mm evazote pad makes the frame.

Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That looks pretty good.  I use one similar.  I like that it has no pockets.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools