Topic

First MYOG backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear First MYOG backpack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Hey guys,

I finally got around to finishing the backpack I made. Several months back I gained interest in MYOG and seeing as my mother had a perfectly capable sewing machine, it simply made sense. I purchased a Ray-Way backpack kit and painstakingly and made my way step by step through the process. I learned a whole lot while making that bag about the frustrating yet rewarding nature of MYOG. I took the techniques and skills learned and started my own project.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I based this pack off an MLD Burn that I recently obtained and made slight changes here and there including taking in the overall dimensions. Here are some in progress steps. Any questions, feel free to ask!

The Pack is made from materials obtained at ripstopbytheroll.com and questoutfitters.com.

I used HyperD 300 in orange for the pack backpanel, wrap around bottom, shoulder straps, and hipbelt strap/padding. Hex70 in white for the front panel, side panels, and roll top.

The pack weighs in at 10.9oz without the MLD hipbelt pockets or foam backpanel. 14.9oz with pockets and foam backpanel.

The first couple pics have some in progress pics of chalk bags I made for climbing.

IMAG3973IMAG3975IMAG3983IMAG4001IMAG4002IMAG4006IMAG4007IMAG4008https://ibb.co/fM6ZyFIMAG4026IMAG4027IMAG4028IMAG4036IMAG4037IMAG4038IMAG4039IMAG4040IMAG4041IMG 0880IMG 0881IMG 0886IMG 0888IMG 0890IMG 0901IMG 0903IMG 0905IMG 0907IMG 0911IMG 0908

I wasn’t 100% on how much the power mesh would stretch so that is why I pleated it. In the future, I would not pleat it and sew it flat to the panel for a much nicer appearance. If I wanted to, I could “fix” the pleat but I think it will be fine.

Again, let me know if you have any questions!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Nice looking pack, good job

“If I wanted to, I could “fix” the pleat but I think it will be fine.”

That’s one thing I like about MYOG.  There’s usually some cosmetic defect, not that anyone else would notice it : )

“seeing as my mother had a perfectly capable sewing machine, it simply made sense”

I used my mother’s machine a long time ago.  I think there was always a question about whether it worked as good after I was done : )  My poor parents.  Impossible to ever “pay back” your parents.

Now I’m using a perfectly capable sewing machine my wife bought.  My poor wife…

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Looks nice!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I like it. Not your usual myog pack

Andrea C
    BPL Member

@andreagattonero

Well done, interesting closure system, will investigate! ;-)

Btw, the problem you will face now, is that you probably won’t stop and make more packs! :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools