Topic

Firebox Gen2 Nano Ultralight Stove – any fans?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Firebox Gen2 Nano Ultralight Stove – any fans?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

Anyone have any thoughts on the Firebox Gen2 Nano Ultralight Stove?  I’m thinking this would be a great light stove for wood, alcohol and Esbit.  The Titanium version weighs only 4oz.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

Saw this at Massdrop. Wasn’t impressed enough to consider it over my Caldera Cone stove. That said curious to here from users.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Have not personally used the Firebox but it should work pretty well for twig fires and likely can be adapted to use alcohol and Esbit. In the Eastern woodlands where I do most of my short trip backpacking, a woodburner with Esbit backup is my stove of choice. In the West, fire danger and fire bans and trails above tree line are more limiting. Of course, I favor the 2.8 oz FireFly for my twig fires.

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I bought one of these last time round on Massdrop. It works quite well, especially being able to insert and cross branches from two directions. The titanium is too thick – far thicker than Emberlit or Vargo stoves, and far thicker than it needs to be. The main problems are stability, which is not great, especially with smaller diameter pots meaning the legs are aligned inwards rather than outwards, and the two wire bits are fiddley to store when folding the stove. The thick titanium also means the weight is more than it needs to be, and maybe they are somewhat over-priced?
    I now mainly use my Emberlit Fireant, also from MassDrop, which I find DAMN NEAR PERFECT for solo use, notwithstanding that its sides have curved a bit, your hands get dirty collapsing it, and when you are really fatigued (hypothermic) or in poor light, it can be a challenge to assemble. Maybe in rough conditions it would be a bit easy to drop and lose a part of it. It really has an almost mythic presence, great design, though a folding version would have advantages. I mainly use wood, but it works great with Esbit as well.
    The other contender is the Vargo Hexagon, which I also like a lot – just not quite as much as my Fireant!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools