Topic

Fire spark protection for synthetics = Coverall Suit?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Fire spark protection for synthetics = Coverall Suit?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    John F
    Spectator

@johnfreeborg

For winter trips with longer periods around a fire, trying to minimize threat of sparks and embers to down parka and pants (and smoke smell).  Would like to avoid dragging along duck cotton jacket/pants which seems super heavy.

Was initially thinking a big tyvek coverall, but tyvek melts/burns very easily – really not much protection at all.

But then I found this which claims flame resistance – even for flame heat work.  And still cheap and light.

Anyone try such a strategy or material?  This in the 2XL is worth a test I think.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

IF, and this is a big “if”, this suit is also waterproof you could also use it as aVBL suit inside your winter sleeping bag. That’s provided you don’t mind the smoky smell in your bag.

As light weight backpackers we’re supposed to make items do double duty whenever possible. This may be an answer.

Personally I only use my small ti Sidewinder Caldera Cone in the Inferno wood-burning mode for wood fires in winter. I use it to melt snow B/C thumb sized wood sticks in my mountains is plentiful and I use it for some pre-bedtime cheer bur not much for warmth.

The only “hot camping” I’d ever consider is hot tenting with a tent made to use an inside collapsable  wood stove. But you need a pulk to tow for that kind of weight, even for a Ti Goat titanium hot tent stove and pipe.

John F
    Spectator

@johnfreeborg

I suppose another option is the $12 cheap wool blanket from HF.  Could cover most of yourself as you sit and do double duty as luxury tent floor insulation.

I’m going to try the SOL Thermal Bivvy as a VBL in the UP under my down quilt.

Thanks for the Aqualung ergo neoprene socks as VBL tip – I bought a pair and tried them snoeshoeing the other day and super positive so far.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Glad the neoprene VBLs worked for you. I like them B/C they are warm (and stay warm), don’t slip down and bunch up and they last for years. Remember to wear them with a thin poly liner sock.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I doubt the fire resistance of polypropylene.

John F
    Spectator

@johnfreeborg

A real test will tell I guess.  There certainly are versions that are flame resistant.

http://www.emcoplastics.com/pp-fireflame-retardant/

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Take the wool blanket. Build a smaller fire. Pack some McNett repair tape.

Cheers.

John F
    Spectator

@johnfreeborg

I did get a harbor freight 80/20 wool blend blanket for $12 for this coming trip.  The multi-purpose is a win and I might be able to use it as a sacrificial moisture layer above the down quilt?

Still want to try the cheap bunny suit that claims flame resistance – maybe this spring on my next amazon prime order I’ll toss it in.

Just saw that some were thinking of Tyvek suits and figured this would be a better, similarly priced option.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Another option to consider—I have an old oversized wool Sir Pendleton (2 sizes too big) shirt that goes over my puffy for campfire/ camping- heavy trips. The dress-shirt version (“Sir”) is thinner and lighter weight than the regular flannels. You can find them at thrift stores or on ebay—ones with a small hole or two already can be really cheap. Could also be used over the down bag at night for moisture. My puffy pants are m65 liners, $10-15 so I don’t mind them getting some ember holes.

Doug G
    BPL Member

@dekartes

Funny thread as I was just thinking about this.  I put a couple holes in my Atom LT pants this weekend!  If you have a sled maybe a lightweight wool blanket could be used for several different things.   Would be nice to protect your down footwear if you use that also.   The blanket would do that.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

A better option would be LW or UL finely woven cotton over pants and smock, such fabric is hard to find but it is available, in the USA most often as high quality bedsheets and a DIY using a pajama pattern

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I gave up using good trousers for winter camping.

Now just use cheap Patagonia Micro puffs.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

From where I stand MicroPuff pants are far from cheap; also why take risks and chances with survival gear?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools