Topic

fire in Yosemite (Wawona )

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion fire in Yosemite (Wawona )

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California
    Alex V
    BPL Member

@valleyjo

Locale: North Cascades

I know fires are natural. I know these trees can withstand natural fires. But as we’re all aware there are some unnatural forces at play here too. As a tree lover these stories devastate me. I have a difficult time coping.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

OAKHURST (Madera County) — The wildfire at the southern edge of Yosemite National Park was spreading quickly Monday as it chewed through some of the park’s thickest and most drought-damaged forest, sending heavy smoke toward the Bay Area and keeping the park’s usually buzzing south entrance closed to visitors.

Fire crews, however, were reporting success in stopping flames from devastating the giant sequoias at Mariposa Grove, a focal point of the mounting firefight.

Several of the grove’s ancient trees, which can live for more than 2,000 years and include the popular 209-foot-tall Grizzly Giant, were hit by fire. Some were left with 70-foot-high scars on their trunks, park officials said. But no big trees have been found dead.

A network of sprinklers has been running in the grove since Friday to help keep the trees from burning. Decades of forest management in and around the sequoias, including tree thinning and prescribed burning, were also credited with protecting the titans.

“Firefighters are in there, and it looks like the fire line is holding,” said Garrett Dickman, a forest ecologist at Yosemite. “If they can keep fire on the right side of that line, I think we’re in good shape.”

Firefighter Matt Shibuya, right, and assistant engine operator John Carter with the U.S. Forest Service Cleveland National Forest unit, draw a hose to mop up hotspots in Mariposa Grove while battling the Washburn Fire in Yosemite National Park, Calif. Monday, July 11, 2022.

Stephen Lam / The Chronicle
    The Washburn Fire, which started Thursday afternoon at the Washburn Trail near Mariposa Grove, had grown to 2,340 acres by Monday afternoon. Fire officials were reporting 25% containment. Nearly 550 personnel were working to suppress the blaze, and more were on the way.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation. Because no lightning was observed in the area, ignition was likely human triggered.

In addition to the giant sequoias, crews were prioritizing the protection of the small community of Wawona, which is in the park, just north of the big trees. The fire remained about a half mile from the community on Monday morning. About 1,600 people in Wawona, staying in cabins, the campground or the Victorian-era Wawona Hotel, were evacuated before the weekend.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

Latest.. just heard on the radio that the cause of the fire was……started by ……a “ human “

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools