Topic

Finally got out for some WI winter backpacking!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Finally got out for some WI winter backpacking!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt W
    Spectator

@will1e

Did an overnight trip this weekend with my 13yr old son, my buddy and his son who is also a friend of my son.   We went up to some public woods in north central WI.  We underestimated the amount of snow they had up there, most spots were knee to waist deep.  While the lake we were hiking into was only 1.2mi in, it took us 2hrs to hike in.  I would have paid a pretty penny for some snowshoes at that point!

Aside from the butt whopping of a walk in and out, it was the perfect weekend for camping.  Only other incident we had is that my son started feeling under the weather before bed so i gave him my brand new, never used Nemo Sonic -20 bag to use to make sure he stayed warm (we didn’t use the titanium wood stove at night).  Well as we were packing up he accidentally bumped the bag against the still hot stove that was cooling down from making hot chocolate and coffee and burnt my new bag.

Fire road going in

The tent

Another view

breakfast

Shawn Peyton
    BPL Member

@alifeoutdoors

Locale: Iron River, WI

Excellent. Aye. perfect weekend for it. Yea it’s a little odd up here right now, clear in spots here or there, south facing slopes etc then still two to three feet in the woods :P

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Nice.. ( not the burnt bag though ), but hey things happen sometimes and it is all good.. Makes memories you both will never forget…

Invest in some snow shoes for next winter!! And keep getting your son out there as much as possible, nothing better then that!

Matt W
    Spectator

@will1e

Yeah, that snow is a workout.  I felt more beat doing that 1.2mi hike in the snow than i did doing (3) 13mi days when I bushwhacked my way to Dick Proennekes cabin in Lake Clark Alaska.

Up till this point i’ve never personally seen a purpose to invest in snowshoes…needless to say i’ll be researching which brand/style will be best for me :)

Yes, my son is a hardcore gamer so anytime i can drag him out of the house is a good day in my book!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hope you can get your bag repaired. That’s a shame and I think I know who should pay for it. ‘Jus sayin’…

BTW, I may print that photo of the omelette, put some BBQ sauce on it and eat it. Looks very tasty!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools