Topic

Female Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

Hello,

We’re revamping my girlfriend’s gear and amongst the items is the pack. She formerly had an Osprey Aura 50L but we’re looking for a simpler pack setup. I was leaning towards the Granite Gear Crown 60 but I think it will be too big for her. I used to have one when I got into backpacking and it reached a point where I was unable to compress the bag enough once I got my gear dialed in.

Do any females have experience with the Crown 60? Does it seem big and cumbersome?

Also does anyone have any packs they suggest from experience?

Thanks

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

I should add some more context. She typically joins me in the fall and winter (North East U.S.) and typically just for weekend+ type trips. 40-50L should be plenty of volume.

I prefer roll top styles to be able to flex between a fall overnighter and a winter multiday.

Jason
    BPL Member

@hermantherugger

I can’t comment on the new Crown, but I prefer the Blaze to the Crown 2. The adjustable torso, more rigid frame, additional level of compression, and super accessible side pockets are all great.

My girlfriend carries a REI women’s flash 45 and really likes it. The independent water bottle pockets are easy to reach and the pack seems to handle varying loads and volumes quite well.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

My wife has the women’s GG Crown 60 and absolutely loves it. She even convinced one of her good friends to get one, and she loves it too. It is a little overbuilt for my taste, the straps and padding are probably more heavy-duty than one really needs, but it’s a good choice for a mass-market lighter-weight pack. And you can’t beat the price. It’s one of my go-to recommendations for someone on a budget trying to lighten their load. The newer versions have some nice features, like built-in belt pockets, and the stretchy front pocket is great. If not needed, the lid can be detached and left at home, which would probably work for you.

Why not try to pack her gear in your old pack to see how it fits. I find that my wife needs a bit more volume in her pack than I do. She prefers a bag to a quilt, etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools