Topic

Feltbuster as Tent Footprint or Tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Feltbuster as Tent Footprint or Tarp?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

Does anyone have any experience using Feltbuster roofing felt replacement material in backpacking?  I am particularly interested in its use as a tent footprint or tart replacement.  The material appears lighter than Tyvek and more flexible but I am uncertain of its tear/puncture strength or cost relative to Tyvek.

Thanks.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I think it would be too fragile and too heavy compared to Tyvek. But I haven’t seen this product personally, just my experience using very good roofing felt paper.

P.S. GAF says you must use plastic capped nails or staples. That doesn’t speak well for strength compared to Tyvek.

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

Thanks!

Mike B
    BPL Member

@highwarlok

Locale: Colorado

GAF and others say to use plastic capped nails and or staples because the synthetic felts have no way to seal around penetrations. Old school black roofing felt was saturated in asphalt and would seal somewhat next to a nail or staple with out the plastic cap. I have made a bath tub floor from a sample of a different mfg product that I got as a sample roll and have used it a couple of times. The one I used was their high end product and was really thick so it does not pack up well as the feltbuster and it is about 2x as thick.

According to their TDS a 92.9sq meter (111 square yards) roll weighs 23 pounds that is 0.2072 pounds per yard or 3.3153 oz per yard.

Depending on the price you can get it for it might be a good product to build templates or patterns out of it.

Full disclosure I have been part of the roofing / exterior building products industry for along time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools