Topic

Feedback from Outdoor Research Helium II owners?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Feedback from Outdoor Research Helium II owners?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Locale: Southwest

My old Marmot Essence jacket (purchased new in 2009) needs to be replaced. The WPB membrane on the interior is peeling off in various high-abrasion areas, such as around the hood/neck join area.

I was considering the Outdoor Research Helium II (which uses Pertex as the WPB membrane). However, I’ve read several reviews that say that it wets out trivially, and that it’s basically expensive and useless. Then in other places, I’ve seen this jacket come recommended (including at the bottom of Ryan Jordan’s review of the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Shell Jacket, from about 2 years ago).

I live in Arizona, and most often would be using this jacket to carry as a “just in case I get caught in weather” jacket, a wind break, or to throw on if I have to go out to the car in the rain. In other words, really probably not needing it for extended heavy rain exposure, like on the PCT or anything like that.

I was happy with the performance of the Marmot Essence – it suited my needs very well. Can I expect similar performance with the OR Helium II jacket?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

It’s perfect for what you describe.  I’ve had mine about five years, it’s packed more than it’s worn, but has been fine when needed.  It is very light, which is nice when it’s riding more than it’s being used.

One benefit to OR is that if (more like when) it delaminates, OR will replace it.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Perfect, thank you! And didn’t know that about OR products. That’s awesome. SteepandCheap has them on sale right now with an additional 20% off on top of the sale  price.

Getting one for myself and one for my husband :-)

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’ve found the Helium II runs small. I usually wear an XL, but I had to exchange an XL for a 2XL. Moosejaw was great about it. The Helium II doesn’t wet out like a Marmot Precip, but it certainly doesn’t have triple layer GTX performance in sustained heavy rains either. I’ve slept in mine on a number of occasions when the temps got a little lower than expected. Breathes pretty decent really.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have owned one for three years. Like Mike M, it spends most of the time packed.  It has not delaminated unlike my first Marmot Precip jacket.  I wish it had pit zips.

The Helium is my just in case shell. When I expect continuous rain or wind and snow, I bring my Gortex Pro shell.

And I got a post card today from OR. The Helium II is currently on sale.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I live in So CA and have had the Helium II for maybe about 4 seasons now…It too is my “just in case” jacket. It goes to the Sierra in the summer as well.  Frankly, I think it feels much like wearing a fitted plastic bag with a hood. But at its size and weight packed, it’s good enough for this. Would it go into really constantly abysmal weather with me? No, that’s where my Arcteryx Goretex Paclite shell comes into play.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

It’s perfect for what you describe.

+1

Would it go into really constantly abysmal weather with me? No, that’s where my Arcteryx Goretex Paclite shell comes into play.

+1  3 layer Goretex

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Thank you all for the feedback! Really helpful!

Wish there was a way to “like” or “thank” on individual posts… :-)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’m not a huge Helium fan, but it does sound perfect for your needs.  I got a postcard today where starting August 4th Outdoor Research is having a sale on the Helium II for $80.  It’s a steal of a light occasional use jacket at that price.

BTW: Only someone from Arizona would say the PCT gets a lot of rain!   Most PCT hikers are 3/4 the way through before they see a drop of rain! LOL

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Sharon

If you have a trip, write a trip report. Tell us how the Helium II worked.

Cheers!

lee kingry
    BPL Member

@leek2

Locale: Alabama and GSMNP North Carolina

Also call or email Marmont, they replaced my precip and my wife’s when we had a delamination issue. Both jackets were pretty old but they took care of everything.

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Doh! Wish I had known that. I already ordered the Helium II for myself… Maybe I contact Marmot anyway and see how that pans out. I don’t think the Essence is made anymore, so not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

I don’t have any trips planned soon… Just a car camping trip with a group next weekend. Though, storms and rain are expected, so it might see a little action.

Incidentally, my husband bought the Men’s Helium II in a size L, and it’s small for him. A little short in the arms and in the torso. He’s 6′ 4″, and ~195. I am wondering if the XL will fit him better in terms of sleeve length and torso length. I’ve been trying to track down the actual garment dimensions (unsuccessfully). Does anyone have the men’s XL who could tell me the sleeve length and torso length?

We purchased from Steepandcheap and we have to pay for return shipping (~$7) each time. So hoping to avoid ordering the XL only to have it arrive and then need to return it again due to sleeves and torso still being too short…

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

If you’re thinking about the Marmot Essence you might as well spend a little more and get something infinitely better…the Montbell Versalite. The Essence has a 10,000 mm HH waterproof rating whereas the Versalite is 30,000 mm HH. The Versalite also has pit zips and a 4 way adjustable hood. What’s more it’s rated as being more than twice as breathable as the Essence. The Versalite is made with 2 layer GoreTex Infinium instead of the inferior waterproofing used on the Essence. Weights on the two jackets are about the same. ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk has the Marmot Essence available for $164 and provides free shipping over $80, however, it is a UK company and it would take a couple of weeks to receive the jacket. Here is sectionhiker’s recent review on the Versalite. He does a good, honest assessment of backpacking gear.

https://sectionhiker.com/montbell-versalite-rain-jacket-review-2/

Sharon Bingham
    BPL Member

@cowboisgirl-2

Thank you for the Montbell Versalite recommendation. I LOVE Montbell products!

Sadly, $200 is out of my price range at this time. I’ll keep a lookout for a sale though.

I am not looking at buying the Essence – it’s the jacket I am replacing because it started to delaminate. I appreciate knowing that the Versalite is a lot more breathable though… I didn’t know that.

I bought the Helium II on sale from SteepAndCheap.com for about $65 after the sale and the 20% they are having right now.

Joe S
    BPL Member

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

I’ve owned the OR Helium II jacket for 3 years and bring it on trips just in case of rain.

I needed it for the first time this weekend in the Emigrant Wilderness where forecasted 30% chance of  thunderstorms turned into 100% chance 3.5 hours of rain and hail, 3 days in a row. Trails were flooded.

My helium jacket was soaked through within 10 minutes of rain.

I’m convinced this jacket is “stupid light” for me and will invest in proper rain protection. I don’t see a situation where any forecast will tell you this jacket will be sufficient. I clearly expected too much of this jacket.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I bought this jacket a  year ago and, like all my new rain jackets, tested it in the shower before taking it on a trip. As you found out, mine soaked through in about 10 minutes in the shower. I ALWAYS test rain jackets and rain pants in the shower before committing to taking it on a trip. I returned the jacket.

It’s also a good idea to set up a new tent in  your yard and test it with a hose before taking it on a trip… just sayin’ ….

DWR…

Joe S
    BPL Member

@joephish-2

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks. This is a good idea. I did this with my Tarptent Stratospire 2 and my Hammock Gear DCF Tarp and they handled simulated sideways rain amazingly well. It never occurred to me to test clothing in the shower.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

For me, the Helium II is a very poor breathable windbreaker at best. My experience is the same as DWR D’s and Finnigan’s, totally wet out in less than 10 minutes, especially under pack straps.

john mcalpine
    BPL Member

@cowpie

I tried the Helium II jacket up here in Seattle.  Within 30 minutes the jacket soaked thru.  It wasn’t perspiration…..it was a jacket that’s simply not adequate for a sustained rain.

I never wore it again.  Not with our weather.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I’ve had mine for 5 years through many storms, and it has always worked fine for me. I think it will serve the OP’s purposes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The Helium has new fabric as of last year. Go see Adventure Alans website for details. He likes it.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

My report of 10 minute shower wetting out was for the latest new fabric…. I can’t recommend this for real rain… maybe a short sprinkle…

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

My experience with the new fabric is similar. Brought a newly purchased Helium II from REI with new fabric on an Northville Placid Trail (in the ADKs) hike last year in September. The first day of hiking featured steady rain and it did not take long for the DWR to fail and the exterior fabric to completely wet out. I don’t think the membrane itself leaked so no rain got through to the inside, but jacket was heavier and obviously didn’t breath at all. I would not trust it if multiple days of cold rain was in the offing – only good for an occasional shower.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

You want something that is light and will never soak from rain? Lightheart Gear jacket.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for the feedback on the new fabric…shame on Alan..lol

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools