Topic

Feathered Friends Eos Down Vest Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Feathered Friends Eos Down Vest Review

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The Feathered Friends Eos Down Vest (7 oz / 200 g, $249.00) is a simple, well-constructed, well-fitting down vest with a high warmth-to-weight ratio.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Andrew – thanks for the flash review.

I’ve had a Western Mountaineering Flash Vest for several years, and recently concluded it’s a specialized garment that won’t go on most backpacking trips any more. It’s also about 2 ounces lighter, uses 850 fp down, and probably less warm than the Eos. That makes it not warm enough most of the time.

The Flash’s YKK coil main zipper frequently separates at the bottom because it’s much harder to properly mate the starting points than any other zipper I own. Often takes two or three tries to get it on right. Since you also found reports of Cerium LT zipper problems, I hope you can report back on the Eos zipper after more experience.

One feature I appreciate on the Flash is stuffing into it’s own hand pocket without over-compression. Does that work on the Eos?

— Rex

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

I have the Cerium LT vest. It is my most used piece of insulated gear here in N GA. However, as you mentioned the vertical chest pocket of the EOS, for me that would tip in FF’s favor. The Cerium vest is lacking in that department, but it would be worth the 1.5 ounces or less that something so useful would add. However, Dead Bird couldn’t offset the price increase of the chest pocket.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks for the review. Looks like a world class vest. I like the PERTEX shell.

4 years ago I bought (on sale, natch) and Eddie Bauer First Ascent 800 fill down jacket with a DWR on the down. Despite naysayers I much prefer DWR treated down and now only buy down garments with DWR treated down.

I’ve usually worn it over heavy shirts or sweaters but sometimes under a WPB shell or another down jacket. It is a very versatile piece of gear.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

Locale: Western New York

Thanks for reviewing, I’ve had my eye on this for some time now. Nice Fjallraven Pants, love those, how’d they hold up?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools