Topic

Favorite Mens Briefs / Boxers for Backpacking???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Mens Briefs / Boxers for Backpacking???

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Matt Bowler
    BPL Member

@bulldawg_006hotmail-com

Hi,
    What is your favorite mens briefs / boxers for backpacking? I have worn the Patagonia Capilene briefs for years, but their latest re-design does not fit me right.

I am looking for something that is comfortable and quick drying. Price is not a major factor. I expect to potentially have to pay a lot and it is money well-spend in my opinion.

thanks
    matt

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Boy are you going to get a lot of different suggestions…may have well asked what is the best beer :)

These are my favs (in charcoal), and have been for many years.  I like the fact that they are mostly nylon, best material for drawers that I have found.  BTW, I have ~16 pair and have yet to wear any of them out.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Saxx!  Looks like a gimmick… of the 10 or so guys at my shop, we were all skeptical, but all like em.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Under Armor boxer briefs.

I hate boxers. No support at all.

I haven’t worn briefs in several years. The boxer briefs provide a little anti-chafing, too.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I like the freedom and quick dry properties of the lightest Patagonia boxers from a few years back.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

My default boxer/brief

BUT I recently had a weekend backpacking trip  these (while recovering from scrotal surgery), and did not have any concerns with chafing whatsoever.

(I always bring coconut oil to help with chafing, should the need arise.

Coconut oil is very Multi-use, imho)

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I like longer boxer-briefs that really protect from chafing.  I bought some Saxx on Massdrop and really liked them until I realized that they didn’t come with a fly!  As you’re shopping around make sure (if this is important to you) that they have a fly.  I hated having to unbuckle my waist belt to be able to pee on the trail.

BRYON L
    BPL Member

@pastor-bryon

Another vote for Ex-officio from me.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

++ ExOfficio Give-n-Go.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I quite like the ExOffico but my new favourites are Uniqlo Airism Boxers for summer use.  Very light at 45 grams for L and under half the price of ExOfficio in Aus.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Some Saxx have a fly, some don’t.  Some are techy material , some are more comfort.

I have also Exofficio, Phase Sl, Under Armor, but since I’ve gotten 3 pair of saxx I’m staying with em.

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

https://www.runderwear.co.uk/

The briefs are very snug and  supportive, with 8% elastane and 98% polyamide. I’m not near a balance right now, but think they are 1.5-2ozs.

They are very similar to 1oz briefs that Falke in Germany  used to make which you could just “wash and go”, ie wear wet and let them dry while wearing, with no discomfort.

Being skinny I don’t get the chaff problem.  : )

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Give n Go Sport Mesh boxer briefs with a 9” inseam are my jam.

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

I found the Jockey boxer briefs to be fine on the PCT.  I’m not saying there aren’t better options, but I saw no reason to explore them since I was happy with them.  The ex officio’s are nice, but gave no support which doesn’t work for me.  I wore the ex officios while sleeping and the jockey’s while hiking.  I don’t remember the exact model of jockey I wore, but they were definitely nylon and had the word ‘sport’ in the name.  Glancing at my emails tells me that I have 2 pairs of the jockey’s purchased in 2011 that are just starting to wear out now after heavy use.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Give n Go Sport Mesh boxer briefs with a 9” inseam are my jam.

I really liked the design of these as well, however they use a different material than the Give-N-Go boxer briefs that IME wears much faster and doesn’t perform as well in the heat.  I wear the Sport Mesh to work but not on the trail.

Oh yeah…Treehouse Julius for sure.

Edit:
    Was curious to see how ExOfficio described the different materials:
    Give-n-Go: 94% Nylon / 6% Lycra® Spandex
    Sport Mesh: 92% Nylon 8% Lycra® Spandex

That seems like they’d be VERY similar but I found them to feel and perform quite differently.  The Sport Mesh are much…mmm…”fuzzier”, stick to clothing more and pill quickly on the inside of the thighs. Whereas the Give-N-Go are slicker and slide under clothes easily.  The Sport Mesh also feel wetter when sweaty and don’t seem to dry as quickly.

But, as with most things, YMMV, HYOH, etc, etc

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

All of those synthetic boxers are fine for me when doing day hikes, but I want the non-stink attribute of merino when on a 2+ night backpack. In fact, last winter I swapped out all of my socks, boxers, and T-shirts for merino versions, and I’m a happy puppy. It wasn’t cheap, but Jenny gifted me an REI ‘Friends & Family’ card that dropped the prices 25%, which helped immensely. For the boxer briefs, my favorites are Smartwool. They have a better waist band than Ibex or Icebreaker, IMO.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

I agree with JCHs comments on sports mesh vs  give and go. Give and go all the way for hiking biking and traveling. I use Rei sold hikers goo for chafe and morning preventative foot care as needed. Haven’t had a bad chafe or blister since using this combo.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

A pair of Ibex short boxers. I only wear them backpacking now, knowing that because they are merino wool and the Ibex brand is defunct, their days of useful wear are now numbered.

Jeffrey Wong
    BPL Member

@kayak4water

Locale: Pacific NW

Patagonia synthetic boxers for 2,000 miles on the PCT in 2015. On moderate and warm days, the shorts/pants would stay in the pack. I kept myself clean and I washed them weekly, though they never stank (I’d know–my nose is sensitive}

Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Wait. aren’t we talking UL here? :D

I was using Exofficio G&G boxers for years and was quite happy. But then I found Odlo Men’s Evolution X-Light Boxer. These are at half the weight of the Exofficio and also were cheaper too! I love them!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Despite the outcries, Patagonia has refused to make available its former cut for capilene polyester briefs.  After much looking, I found REI had a nice all polyester brief, not to short, not too long, #127-668-0007, and I was able to replace my deteriorating Patagonia briefs with these.  They are rugged, stretchy, fit even better than the old Patagonia capilene polyester and are much less expensive.   They come in black or “rockwall”, which is a medium dark gray. Voila!

Edit:  The reference to briefs was intended to be to brief briefs, not boxer briefs.  Thanks.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

try these-

://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-running-underwear/products/men-running-briefs-breathable?variantid=35844431309             just got 2 pairs and for that price …….

or these –

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-running-underwear/products/mens-breathable-running-boxers?variantid=3830280880141

certainly worth a punt.

I am keen on these-

https://www.decathlon.com/collections/mens-running-underwear/products/mens-running-breathable-boxers-blue?variantid=12456368046191

perhaps to much elastane, we’ll have to see.

Summer here, so nice and warm for trialling!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I have been wearing these on all my local hikes  – which I do carrying a full pack, so it’s pretty close to an actual backpacking trip:

https://www.target.com/p/hanes-men-s-comfort-flex-fit-boxer-briefs-3pk/-/A-53196639?preselect=53027658#lnk=sametab

1.65 oz on my scale. I wear them inside out because when worn the supposed right way, the stitching on the waistband was a little itchy. So far very nice. The only thing I haven’t done is worn them in very hot weather since I only got them in the fall, but I doubt that will be an issue, I’ve been pretty sweaty with no issues. Can’t beat the price!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools