Topic

Favorite gear that lasts an entire thru-hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite gear that lasts an entire thru-hike

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I was wondering what some of your favorite, durable gear is. Gear that lasts for an entire thru-hike and is ready for more. Obviously shoes and socks wouldn’t make the cut. What do you have?

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven’t done a thru-hike in recent times, but over time I have that sort of use and have observed friends experiences:

Good:

• Pretty much any cookware/stoves you choice… MLD 850/UL Caldera
    • any high quality down bag / quilt… NunatukUSA Ghost quilt
    • any of the high quality, aluminum case, headlamps…  zebralight H51
    • Nylon Hiking Pants (if you are stay on trail)
    • Tilley Hats… LT6
    • Fleece

Bad:

• Trail Runners… 400-800 miles
    • Most socks… Injinji Tetratsok terrible durable (though I love them), darn tough can make it if you are careful trimming toenails
    • Umber-light shells, or down/synthetic pieces with light shells

Depends

• Gossamer Gear Gorilla… certainly know people who have done multiple thru with GG packs.  On trail no problem.  If you are doing a lot off trail bushwhacking, would want something more durable.

Above items have been my goto gear for the last 9+ years.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools