Topic

Fauxdini CFM?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Fauxdini CFM?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Reading all the tech specs on fleece and wind shirts got me wondering – anyone have an idea of what the specs/ CFMs are on the Amazon fauxdinis?  I’ve got one, as do may on here, and it blocks wind pretty well, but can get a bit sauna-ish.  Just picked up a BD Alpine Start (on sale) & need to justify the weight increase – to myself :). Thanks!

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

You find the Faux hot? I thought it was pretty good breathability wise.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Brad W, truth is I haven’t tested it well enough yet in my mountain environment.  I used it riding bikes in the evenings at the beach (humid), so that’s not fair.  Interesting you feel that way. Thanks for the feedback.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I have the real Houdini 2018 and that does feel like the 5ish CFM. The Faux I got from Amazon Faux feels like 40 cfm if I had to guess? Much cooler than real, but it’s obvious it’s cheap. Translucent, zipper is poor, fit and finish are that of a $10 windbreaker. I love the weight 2.5oz. I wouldn’t take it into any serious hikes-Sierra. Your BD probably breathes as well from what BD says-40cfm? But it’s made 10x better and offers some rain protection.

FWIW-except for desert trips-I always take rain jacket and real Houdini. Combined the weight is under 10oz.

Steve H
    Spectator

@hop

Impressive.  What rain jacket?  Versalite? Visp?  The BDAS (just arrived, haven’t used yet) is ~ 7.7 oz & my Arcteryx Zeta SL rain jacket is 11.4 oz.  I’m 2X you.  This is the area of my kit that needs the most work.  I would like to dial in my active insulation fleece and wind shirt combo, but the Zeta is an anchor for sure.  Thanks for your input.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Rain is Lightheartgear Silnylon rain jacket. Love it. It’s not for everyone but I really like knowing it won’t ever wet out. Had bad luck with ‘breathable’ rain jackets soaking through very quickly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools