Topic

Faux duomid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Faux duomid

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tavo Sotto
    BPL Member

@nuttysquirrel

Locale: (null)

Anyone seen these?http://www.ebay.com/itm/152275616627

Seems like it would be interesting to mess around with, claimed 30d silnylon but I don’t know if I trust the Chinese construction for serious use..

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Whoa……that is crazy cheap. But….I wonder if its just the tarp or its the tarp and the groundsheet? It does say on the specs that the ->

Bottom Waterproof Index :  >5000 mm

So…I would assume it comes with the inner groundsheet….

And….its not a Faux duomid…its a faux ultamid 4 ….it states ->

Outside Area: 295cm*295cm*160cm

Thats even larger than an ultamid 4, which is 111×111″…this is 116″x116″.

And if you look closely at the pics…yeah..it looks more like a supermid.

So…..this is a large 4 person tarp, with groundsheet…..supposedly made of 30d sil, for $49 with free shipping…and …with a “make offer” option, so you could probably get it for $45 or maybe even less.

And….this has 2 zippers, which….I wouldn’t really want b/c of the weight, but….there you go.

Only thing is that he doesn’t list the weight…I’ll send a message to confirm size and ask about weight.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

0 feedback on the seller ….

if u want a cheapish mid get a 3F/asta one on aliexpress from thr links in this thread

http://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?threads/asta-mid-with-3f-4-season-solid-inner.2437/

I have a 3F cheap mid that works fine with some caveats

Or see if u can find one from amazon with free returns

;)

Pigeon
    BPL Member

@popeye

I might have ordered that if my mailing address weren’t up in the air. It doesn’t look like a knockoff at all, just suspiciously cheap. The description said the photo was inaccurate so who knows.

I’d like to know which of the Chinese makers have the best reputation.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i own and use a 3F mid copy that cost 100 dollahz for inner+outer …. less than 1 KG including groundsheet (included)

the quality is generally fine and with a few easy mods its very serviceable … ive had it out in 50mm+ rain days/nights, i might go out this weekend with it, theres a storm warning with another 50mm+ expected frid/saturday

it is waterproof and there are no leaks even in torrential rains … its seam taped from the factory

the biggest issue is if yr over 5’8″ itll be very tight … but for kids, shorter folks its the best value out there for a mid+inner

the link i posted above is for the ASTA mid (a duomid copy) … the treklite folks are UK bums … so u can ask em about high winds and rain in em …

im sure the MLD, HMG, etc … mids are better build … but for 99% of what folks do i will say that the 3F mids will probably work just fine providing yr not too tall

on a side note i find it hilarious that someone flagged this entire thread for content … guess someone doesnt like a discussion of chinese knockoffs

;)

DGoggins
    BPL Member

@hjuan99

Locale: Mountain West

Huh…maybe I should have pulled the trigger…..now the listing has ended. Though…maybe I just saved myself from getting burned.

Boyan B
    BPL Member

@groovygeek

Locale: San Diego, CA

the biggest issue is if yr over 5’8″ itll be very tight … but for kids, shorter folks its the best value out there for a mid+inner

Really?  The stated length of the inner is 88.6 inches.  The MLD solo XL is spec-ed at 90″.  This may be just what the doctor ordered for desert hiking when these sandstorms come up.  At $50 shipped it is a very low risk purchase.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

this is the one i own ….

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-3Ful-Gear-Pedestrian-3-season-2-layer-1-resident-professional-silicon-PU-coating-outdoor/1302938_2006039576.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.jr8cLD

with a neoair large and a standard 6′ bag one is brushing against the front or rear of the inner and likely the outer at some point

however for folks around the 5’6″ range its probably the best deal for a tent aroundtheres a selection of mids at this store which the folks at the treklite forums buy from

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/UL-Silicon-coating-tent/1302938_257930161.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.cdKfv1&SortType=orders_desc

i recommend sticking to the ASTA or 3F ones … those have enough history of folks buying them for it to be fairly safe

;)

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Too bad that the 3F and Asta mids are on the small side. It would have been nice to play with a mid before deciding if I wanted. “a real one”.

But I see this 3x3m flat tarp that could be worth playing with. It doesn’t have mid-panel tie-out points, but it might still be useful for me to experiment with a tarp. Any thoughts on this item?

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32771317058.html#autostay

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

stephen …

while im sure the 3F tarp will work fine … after shipping it comes to 40 yankee dollahz or so

thats 1/3 the cost of a fully featured sil tarp of the same size … which will probably be worth it in the long run just for the tie outs

OR

just get a 8×10 cheap poly tarp at ~ 10 smackaroos if you want to see if tarping is for you … remember with cheap poly tarps you can make “tie outs” anywhere with a small object (marble sized ball/rock) wrapped around the tarp and clove hitching or slip knot around the base of it with a 3 mm cord …

you can also reinforce the gromets with several layers of duct tape… and fix any wear points with duct tape

and i guarantee that you will absolutely use that el cheapo tarp for many other things around the house/camping as well …

;)

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Eric,

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a poly tarp somewhere – I’ll dig it out and see what size it is.

I haven’t seen a light, fully featured tarp for $120, did you have a particular one in mind?

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

http://www.bearpawwd.com/tarps/flat_tarps.php

never used em so do a search to see if theyre any guuud

;)

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I got one of the 3m x 3m tarps from AliExpress, but it was not the same supplier.

Mine was <span class=”desc”>Feather light 15D nylon 300 * 300CM square Almighty Atrium 3 * 3 m multipurpose shelters car side account Tent rainfly sunshelf</span>

https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/3010783042.html?orderId=30207187509339&productId=32679178137

The sil fabric is satisfactory, great yellow color, many tie-outs but no internals, other than along the ridgeline (1/4 points and center). The 21 tie-outs are a little more substantial than they need to be.

The weight 500-508 gm is ok, but when I compare with my Locus Gear cuben Khufu – 300 gm = 10.6 oz including long (ultralite) guys and bag – I’m far better off using the Khufu, I get far better facility for lighter weight. So much so that I’ve yet to pitch the flat tarp!  And I now use my Khufu exclusively with Ti Shepherd stakes, and have had no problems thus far, sometimes adding small rocks on top of the stakes. (Ok in bad conditions, I might want more substantial stakes).

The cuben Khufu (and by extension the DuoMid) wins hands down over a flat tarp, unless you are really going to strip the flat tarp down to the minimum, and it would have to be cuben as well. Even then, you are not going to get anywhere near the weather protection, or the ease of pitching of the Mid. In my humble opinion.

Some might disagree… (P.S. My tarp is unused, genuinely never pitched, I’ll sell it, including shipping from Korea, if you want…)

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

I recall seeing a destructive test of a faux Duomid. The fabric tore very easily.  I thought the video was done by Ron Bell of Mountain Laurel Designs, but I haven’t been able to find it again.  Does anyone have the link?

-Lance

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. Here ya go, it is on the MLD FACEBOOK page

Lance M
    BPL Member

@lancem

Locale: Oregon

Thanks Link.  I hoped you would see this!

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

That test ron did wasnt of a 3F tent

there was a good thread on treklite forums on it

ive had my 3F out on 50mm+ rain days and i guarantee the HH is better than the 600-700 or so HH ron got on his test

a simple balloon test would show this on any tent u own

;)

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

>My tarp is unused, genuinely never pitched, I’ll sell it, including shipping from Korea, if you want…

Curiosity got the better of me and I just placed an order for one yesterday :(

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools