Topic

Family tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Family tents

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

We currently use a Golite Hex 3 with our 4 person family. It’s very light, flexible and fits the four of us snug but comfortably. Soon this will become to small for us, so I am thinking of what to get next.

Mids/Tipis are available in large sizes, but the footprint becomes huge, which is a problem in our wooded region of the world (NE Minnesota). Their forte is wind resistance,  which is actually not a big deal for us, due to the mostly sheltered locations of our sites.

Tarptent has some bigger models too, but single wall tents are not the best in humid conditions, are not modular, and because of that and other factors, are not great winter shelters.

A tunnel tent seems like a nice design, but the only one I could think of (Hilleberg Njallo 4) is super heavy.

So, what are your suggestions for a lightweight, 4 person tent with good venting and preferably the option for (sheltered, low snow) winter use?

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

The tarptent hogback is double wall and really the only option. You can get a custom inner maybe from bearpaw and go with a big tarp as another option. Maybe start thinking about 2 tents that can be placed next to each other and maybe lift the vestibules to make a nice big covered area?

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Thanks Jeff,

I see now that the Hogback is indeed double wall, with a removable inner. That makes it a lot more appealing.  Especcially if I could get a regal are, non-mesh inner tent. I have a Bearpaw inner for my Hex, and it’s great. Super light and thanks to the fabric walls it adds a lot of warmth in cold and windy conditions, as well as keeping dust or spindrift out.

2 tents? Have you been talking to my wife? She claims we already have so many tents, we could use 2 of those ;-)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How about two tents and a flat tarp to make a protected family area between or in front of them?

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Matthew,  exactly what I was thinking. Now as far as the 2 tents go, well they must be a matching pair ;)

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

Lil Bugout Shelter from Seek Outside, possibly. (Tough criteria) https://seekoutside.com/little-bug-out-shelter

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

We use Helsport Fjellheimen (a Norwegian brand). The 4 person camp version clocks in at about 2,1 kg (4,6 pounds) plus pegs and has a huge vestibule.

Not sure if you can buy it in the US though.

http://www.helsport.no/fjellheimen-superlight-camp

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

My vote goes for the 2, 2-man  tents. It isn’t always easy to find a site for a 4-man tent. But If I was going to get a 4-man tent for relatively sheltered conditions, the Hogback seems like a good bet.

TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Locale: "Top-of-Utah"

Personally, I believe that we have decided on the TT Hogback. But Thomas (Norway)…I would seriously consider looking at a Helsport Fjellheimen if I could. Very interesting tent… reminds me of the design of my my family car camping tent (except yours is much lighter), the REI Kingdom series with optional garage.

Side note: REI Kingdoms are NOT backpacking light by any means.  However they worked very well with wife, 5 kids & a dog when traveling & car camping. We sold our 8 & bought the 4 which we can still use with the same accommodating garage attachment. Very nice to have at family reunions.

https://www.rei.com/product/147957/rei-co-op-kingdom-4-tent

https://www.rei.com/product/147958/rei-co-op-kingdom-6-tent

https://www.rei.com/product/147959/rei-co-op-kingdom-8-tent

https://www.rei.com/product/894018/rei-co-op-kingdom-garage-2018

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

The Helsport Fjellheimen is what I use in winter now but I do have the Extreme version, an excellent tent. But I have experience with 3 kids and my vote is two of the tents you already own plus a big flat tarp pitched to join them.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Thanks for the comments and suggestions

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I use the Golite Shangrila 5 with a bear paw full square inner.  It has tons of room for packs and gear.  I also used a spare hiking pole section and flick lock hiking poles to replace the Center pole.  All told with pegs it comes in at 4.25 lbs which made it a few ounces lighter than my Brothers seem sealed Hogback.

The above doesn’t help you at all because of the foot print problem.  The Shangrila 5 is 9.5 ft x 9.5 ft so site finding is indeed difficult.

The Hogback has a substantially smaller foot print and is definitely smaller inside.  My brother his wife, myself and my daughter all slept in it one night and it was wall to wall pads with no room for packs inside and really only fitting two packs under the vestibule.  It is a great tent and if you don’t mind your current HEX 3 then the Hogback will be a Palace.  Footprint is about 7×8.  Both the pyramid and the Hogback are great family options if you can handle the foot print.  You also won’t get much smaller than the Hogback if you go the 4-man route as it is basically an 7’ square with small vestibules.

So if the Hogback footprint is too big than 2 tents is the way to go.  I’m not much help there as I don’t think I’ve owned a two man tent.  1,3,4,5,6, and 8 persons I have owned but never the more common 2 person.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools