Topic

Family Rain Gear Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Family Rain Gear Question

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I recently got married and “inherited” 3 teenage boys from my wife’s late husband.

They have gear but need durable rain gear.

Now our needs are a bit unique.

1. It has to be cheap. Rainwear for 3 boys will add up, no $400 stuff.

2. It needs to be durable. My boys were adopted from Hungary and 2 have serious attention issues as a result of that or genetics. Saying “just teach them to be careful ” won’t work. It’s a struggle not to forget gloves when it’s below zero.

So I’m thinking of Helly Hansen non-breathable stuff for our hunting trips when we will be sitting a lot OR bushwacking in thick brush. I’ll try to scrounge up thrift store/hand me down WPB stuff for more active activities like hiking. Plan is to layer these over fleece since teenage guys will inevitably get damp under any rain gear.

Any ideas for durable and probably non breathable rain gear that is cheaper then Helly Hensen?

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

If you live or can travel to a mountain community, you could try their local Thrift Store… lots of locals in mountain communities like to have the latest gear and donate their old stuff.

humorless
    BPL Member

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don’t know Helly Hansen (other than the name). What are you trying/hoping to spend on each jacket?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I’m trying to spend as little as possible while keeping the boys safe and warm.

My experience is absent minded kids get wetter no matter what, they forget to zip their jacket, they pull the hood off etc. Plan is semi dry with fleece underneath.

Helly Hansen sells 100% waterproof non-breathable rain gear. It’s popular in Alaska. I’ve heard of moose hunters using it when they sit and glass and for busting through brush (usually bad for DWR). Some have a WPB coat for the hiking days when they sweat more. Others claim they don’t sweat to much (moose season is cooler).

If I’m going to spend significant money the gear needs to last a few years so Helly Hansen looks attractive with no DWR to trash.

I just sourced one two old jackets so we’re moving in the right direction. Both are WPB so I’ll recoat them (probably every season)and hope for the best.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Luke, congrats on the new family!

I see a bunch of Helly Hansen rain jackets on eBay for $20-40, but you have to recognize by sight which are the fully waterproof ones. I used to have one of their non-breathable rain jackets that I found at a thrift store for a couple bucks; wish I hadn’t let it go. Good luck!

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

You haven’t mentioned silnylon, but I am wondering if you require the durability of the HH shells…

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I usually buy my kids Columbia rain jackets on Amazon. Waterproof,  durable, cheap, and not terribly heavy:

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

FROGG TOGGS  Xtreme Lite. Great $40 rain jackets.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks for the help. Frogged Togs are a no go. My boys would trash them. We’ll be off trail and probably stalking (i.e. crawling through brush).

Ian Rae
    BPL Member

@iancrae

Locale: North Cascades

I’ve had good luck recently with Cabelas WPB jackets for my boys who love bushwhacking. We’ve paid around $50 and they’re pretty durable (but not light.)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Thanks Ian. My boys have plenty of energy so an extra pound or so won’t hurt.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!