Topic

Fall High Sierra List-Suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fall High Sierra List-Suggestions?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

This list is for a mid-late September week long Sierra trip. Elevations are 9,000-11,500Ft. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

https://lighterpack.com/r/9hqw9m

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I doubt you will need the bug spray or headnet in mid to late September.  The bugs are normally gone by mid to late August.

I would think you’d need to be ready for temps  down to 20* that late in the year.  I’ve been in mid September and had temps as low as 22*F.  Is your sleep system up to it?

That looks like a heavy first aid kit

Garcia’s are heavy with a small opening.  You might could rent a Bearikade from the Ranger Station.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks. I can leave the bug stuff at home as well as thin out the first aid kit. I have had my quilt down to 20s wearing all my layers-other option is a liner?

I own the bear can so I will probably have to suck up that weight.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This looks really good.

Like Brad said, your sleep system could get thin if temps are unseasonably cold, and I don’t know where you’re camping.

Moraine and Guitar Lake areas get pretty chilly in the fall.

My coldest camp there was in late September, Junction Meadow. Temperature inversion, 19 degrees. Hikers camping at 11k reported temps in the upper 20s. That was unusual.

Check a Meteoblue (multimodel) point forecast right before you leave at Junction and Guitar and maybe take a 20 deg sleeping bag if it looks to be chilly.

Yeah, you definitely won’t need any bug stuff. Skip the repellent and headnet.

A bearikade rental will save you 10-12 oz…that’s not trivial, right? If you have tough quads don’t worry about it :D

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Thanks Ryan, I appreciate the feedback.

Will be heading south from Devils Post Pile. Most of the camp sites will be 10,000-10,500ft range. Duck, Silver Pass, Rose Lakes.

Two quandaries-1) Purchase a 20F quilt or pack a 1lb liner and 2) Rent a lighter bear can for the trip or suck up the heavier can I own?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Ditto to the comments above. Also, I’d drop the second sun hoody and replace it with a 6-8 oz. 1/4 zip fleece. Otherwise, looks pretty good.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@feetfirst thanks. I like that idea. Do you have any recs for a lightweight fleece?

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I picked up a Helly Hansen Daybreaker 1/2 zip fleece (it’s really a 1/4 zip) on sale a few seasons ago and it works well. It’s around 6 oz. and I wouldn’t want anything much warmer/heavier. Not the best fitting piece, but does the job.

It also double-duties for me when I bring crampons/micro spikes; I wrap them up in the fleece to protect everything else in my pack from the poky bits and the fleece is durable and relatively inexpensive ($30).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Rent the Bearikade? Yes.

Your route is pretty traveled. You could save a pound by leaving the Garmin, charger and cables behind.

Anonymous
    Inactive

More weight just means I walk a bit slower.  Ain’t no big.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools