Topic

Fall Colors at the Lake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Fall Colors at the Lake

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Companion forum thread to: Fall Colors at the Lake

I love the seasons.  Summer, winter, spring and the fall all bring their own magical beauty throughout the mountains for different reasons. It

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for posting – Looks great and the perfect time for hitting those ridgetops when the leaves were off the trees and the views were wide open.  Is it possible that our mutual friend skipped the hammock and slept on the ground?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Aahaha.. yes it is. He went commando style. Polycro, sleeping pad and quilt.  Straight up! Lol. The overnight temperature hit 31°. So really bugs were a non issue. Though we did find a few tiny spiders crawling about…

Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

With the Brooklyn accent here ‘n there I was lookin’ for Joe Pesci someplace in the background!

Nice colors, views.  What do you use for tick repellant/management?  Ticks burrow in leaves for winter, as you know.

I heavily spray pants, shirt with home brewed permethrin .05% using Section Hiker’s recipe.  I use agriculture grade permethrin, which is supposed to cling to vegetation but (from what I’ve read) not permanently bind to cloth as the Sawyer and other tick repellants are claimed to do.

So I spray pants, shirt every time I go out.  And use tents w/floors until snow’s on the ground.  Then it’s floorless Kifaru hot tent.  Ahhhh….nothin’ like a wood stove in your tent on a snowy day in the hills.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The yoots were around there!! Hahaaa.. I use Sawyer permitherin and have never had any ticks..

Joe Meek
    BPL Member

@84flh

Best line whole movie:

“I find it hard to believe that water soaks into grits faster on your stove than every other stove in the whole county.  Are these magic grits?  Did you buy them where Jack bought his beanstalk beans?”

Yup.  Sawyer.  24 oz yellow bottle.  About $15.  Does about 3 sets shirt/pants.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Hhaaaa.. great movie!

So for those not interested in the full 13 minute video.. here is a short, 27 second peek..https://youtu.be/JJaJr9L-K9w

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools