Topic

Fall 2019 gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fall 2019 gear list

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

I am trying to cut my weight down, and would appreciate feedback.  The gear list is what I use late spring to early fall.  I mostly go the Sierra, and Trinity Alps.  A few comments.  I have a bad back, and I’ve had hip replacement surgery.  I need the neo air x-lite to get enough flex in my back.  I included the chair because I can’t sit on the ground after the hip replacement.  If I’m going someplace where there will be something to sit on, I leave that at home.  If it’s going to be stormy, I have an REI quarter dome 1 that I might bring (2 lbs 5 oz with titanium stakes).  If it’s going to be much below freezing, I have an REI magma 10 sleeping bag that I bring (it only weighs 5 oz more that the Sierra Designs sleeping bag).  Thanks for the help

https://lighterpack.com/r/28km3t

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I’m planning a fall Sierra trip myself now. So, I did a bit of a comparison. One thing I generally bring that I don’t see is mitts, e.g., REI or MLD eVent, or Zpacks Vertice. I’ve been out and had my hands so cold they didn’t want to zip up zippers, etc. from hail/rain, so I think these are a must. Another thing I don’t see called out (maybe in there) is a good ziplock, etc. bag for the sawyer. I like to use one so I don’t get any water inside my bag when I put the sawyer in there for the night. I also add Wetfire tinder cubes for fall trips. Just my 2 cents.

It looks pretty well thought out.

[edit]

As far as places to cut weight:

(1) Sleeping bag: you could move to a lighter bag or quilt and maybe save 4-8 oz. This would obviously be $$$. Note: I think you pad is already pretty minimal for fall use. You might want to boost w/ a 1/8″ it if its cold.
    (2) You could save on the pack as well. Maybe even move down slightly to a 50L? HMG, SWD, etc. etc.

[/edit]

Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

Paul.  Thank you for the suggestions.  I think that your additions are all good ones, and I’ve added them to my list.  I’ve thought about trying a quilt, but it doesn’t seem to save much weight.  The EE enigma 20 degree extra wide (which is what the size chart suggests) weighs almost 25 oz.  Also, have thought about a different pack, but same thing with the pack,  An arc haul with hip belt pockets and a couple of optional straps is pretty close to the granite gear pack.  The gossamer gear mariposa is also close to 2 lbs.  Maybe a lighter tent for times that I use the tent.  Thought about getting a bivy, but not too sure about the condensation.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I’ve thought about trying a quilt, but it doesn’t seem to save much weight.
    Weight is NOT the only thing. I find a quilt gives me so much more room to move around than a sleeping bag of similar weight. It leaves me much more comfortable.

Cheers

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

Yes, it seems the weights are closer than I thought.

I’m with Roger on quilts, I definitely prefer them. The only downside is if you cowboy camp then they can be drafty, but much easier to regulate extra heat/more flexible temperature-wise as well as the comfort factor.

I use a bivy often, both a lightweight and an alpine style, in the Sierra. Problematic condensation happens but rarely. Mostly if I end up camp above treeline with a view of a clear sky or during rainy conditions w/ just the alpine bivy. BUT I tend to use a tent (with vestibule) in the fall because it is just so much more comfortable and practical if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In shoulder season (and winter) in the Sierra Nevada, I like to carry a bit of kit for emergency fire starting.  I see that you have a pocket knife, one lighter, and one set of matches. I would add some form of fire starter either DIY such as vaseline soaked cotton balls, or some commercial product and probably a second lighter.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Definitely a second lighter (sometimes, that’s the only thing I have any redundancy of).  Rather than the vaseline-soaked cotton balls that require some container to prevent making a mess, take a square or two of waxed paper.  A few times, up a talus slope, high above any surface water, I’ve used a square of waxed paper or aluminum foil to direct dripping snowfield melt water into the mouth of my water bottle.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

All this talk of vaseline-soaked cotton balls and so on: I have been very successful starting a fire with ‘wet’ wood using either my canister stove or a small bit of ESBIT.

Cheers

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

But you can’t put the esbit on your lips if you run out of lip balm.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“you can’t put the esbit on your lips”

Robert Duvall can.

But, agreed, Roger, a canister stove makes a heck of a fire starter.  I did that on a misty beach for an ocean-soaked wife.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

@David: Yes, I had remembered that. And that is how I got this fire lit too:

Every other bit of timber was soggy.
    (Grey Mare Hut, KNP, 2019)

Cheers

Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

Never thought of starting a fire with my stove.  I eliminated my second lighter because my new pocket rocket deluxe has a lighter, but I guess that’s not a very smart item to eliminate.  Thanks for the help

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools