Topic

Fabric for bivy sack floor

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fabric for bivy sack floor

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ryan K
    BPL Member

@ryan-keane

I’ve pretty much decided to go with RBTR’s 1.6 oz Silpoly to be as puncture/abrasion-resistant as possible while still remaining pretty light, but I wanted to check with the MYOG mob. Are any of the other RBTR options a better choice like 1.1 oz silpoly or 1.1oz silpoly PU4000 (more waterproof but at a durability cost).  I’m not considering cuben – just way too expensive for my first bivy.

Thanks

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

I really don’t think you can go wrong with either. I think my Borah Gear Snowyside 2 uses the PU4000 bottom and it seems to be pretty durable.

My only advice is to choose the least expensive fabrics if this is your first attempt at a build. I always end up wanting to try something a little different after I complete a project and I’d rather not dole out the cash on very expensive materials on the first run.

That being said, I can send you a couple yards of 2nds silnylon from Oware for the cost of shipping. Drop me a PM if you want to go that route.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools