Topic

EXTRA COATING ON SILNYLON TENT FLOORS

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear EXTRA COATING ON SILNYLON TENT FLOORS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My tarp tent SCARP 2 and Moment DW have well coated silnylon floors but I like to coat them (on the outside) with another coat of silicone for reducing wear and increasing waterproofing.

I mix the following: (by volume)

1 part clear GE Silicone II caulk

5 parts “odorless” mineral spirits

PROCEDURE -> (1.) mix ingredients in well-sealed jar by shaking vigorously  (2.) pour about 1/2 cup into a SMALL paint roller tray   (3.) using a low knapp, narrow roller (fits the small tray) roll coating on a 2′ x 2′ area of the floor  (4.) immediately wipe lightly with a blue shop towel (to keep from contaminating coating with paper fibers, as a regular paper towel would do). (5.) shake sealed jar well every time before refilling small paint tray

Continue this procedure, overlapping along edges of finished areas. Coat floor “walls” as well.

Yes, this may add an ounce or two but it’s well worth it for floor longevity and peace of mind when rain begins to run under your tent floor. (Hey, you know it happens.)

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

Probably makes it whole lot less slippery too. I’ve noticed that unless I’m pitched on a perfectly flat spot, my net tent or bivy will slide during the night until i’m partially outside the tarp sometimes- very anoying.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve coated outside of bivy floor and it started peeling after a while

Maybe having more dilute solution would have been better.  Maybe it depends on the fabric or something else.

Inside of bivy floor didn’t peel.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Jerry,

a VERY thin layer works better.

Don’t forget that the difference between a silicone coated nylon and not is a little as 0.3 oz per square yard. So you may want a bit more than that but not much more.

Besides , the thicker the coating the more likely it will collect and retain dirt.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, that makes sense, I’ve heard that before

Song
    BPL Member

@songsta

Thanks for the tip.  I’ll try this on my Nemo Hornet

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yes, as Franco sez, it should be a thin layer, and that is why I always wipe down the newly rolled-on coating with a paper shop towel as I listed in the directions.

BTW Jerry, I forgot to say in my 1st post that I always wipe down my floors with an alcohol soaked shop towel to be sure it is truly clean of any oils, etc. So far no delamination.

Song
    BPL Member

@songsta

Just applied it to my nemo hornet floor. Will test it out in Whitney in a couple of weeks.   I’ve been addressing micro holes with tape.  The application is peace of mind

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools