Topic

Exploring Wyoming’s Medicine Bow Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Exploring Wyoming’s Medicine Bow Range

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chase Jordan
    Admin

@chasemilo99-2

Locale: Northeast US

Companion forum thread to: Exploring Wyoming’s Medicine Bow Range

A quick, weekend trip into the Medicine Bow Range creates the background for this story of navigation technique and philosophy.

Patrick Podenski
    BPL Member

@patpodenski

This was an enjoyable account to read, describing your off trail adventures.

Since I haven’t backpacked in that area, I was curious about campsite selection with regard to avoiding the receipt of bolts of lightning from those thunderstorms that you mentioned. I always wonder if my trekking poles (carbon) that hold up my pyramid may serve as excellent lightning rods/attractors. Any special measures that you take for that?

Thanks again for writing about your explorations!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Enjoyable read Chase.  Exactly the type of trip I prefer now.  Something where the only objective is to find the peace and beauty that only a wilderness experience provides.  Thanks for sharing!

Chase Jordan
    Admin

@chasemilo99-2

Hi Patrick,

I don’t take extra precautions with my shelter, and I try not to think about it too much. I use either an aluminum or carbon fiber center pole and like to think that the rubber caps on the end help. I don’t know if this is wishful thinking or if it is based in fact. The best advice I can give is to not set up your tent in an exposed location. This camp was situated about 1000 vertical feet below the ridgeline, which minimizes the chance of lightning strikes. Of course, there are locations and camps where minimizing lightning exposure isn’t as feasible, and it just comes down to making a decision if your location is safe to stay!

Best,

Chase

Chase Jordan
    Admin

@chasemilo99-2

Hi Randy! I’ve spent summers chasing the miles and the peaks, and while they were fun trips, I have found more reward in enjoying it and counting the miles later. Turns out I go just as far (or farther sometimes), but never feel like I have a schedule to keep up and it’s way more relaxing and reinvigorating. Cheers!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools