Topic

Expiration Dates

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Expiration Dates

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

How long past the “Best By” or “Use By” date will you consume a commercially made cook-in-bag / freeze dried meal such as a Pack-It Gourmet or Mountain House?

I didn’t camp at all last year (hangs head in shame) because of the pandemic and the effect it had on my  work schedule/free time. As such, I have a few meals that expire this month and next. Wondering what’s the worst that could be going on inside that pouch!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’ve gone a full year past the “Best by” date on Packit Gourmet meals and didn’t notice an issue.  I got out last year but had two trips cancelled so I have some extra food.  When I go out in two weeks it will be with meals that are at their best by date.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I believe the Use By date may be set by regulation rather than any testing. Not sure, but that is my understanding.

If the packets have been stored carefully so they have had no pinholes or leaks, then I would GUESS a couple of extra years. Just my GUESS.

Cheers

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thanks. Stored sealed in a bin out of sunlight in cool dehumidified basement.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I doubt the lack of sunlight matters IF the packets are aluminised plastic. If they are clear plastic, then darkness helps.
    I doubt the dehumified bit matters much provided the packets are in themselves moisture-proof. They SHOULD be if they contain freeze-dried food.
    Coolness helps, but only to a minor degree imho.

What really matters is that the packets should be mechanically protected against creasing and pinholes. As long as the dry air (or nitrogen) inside the packets remains DRY, all is well. A sealed bin is good.

My 2c.
    Cheers

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

In the good old U.S. of A. most food “use by” or “best if used by” dates are not regulated, generally up to the whims of the manufacturer.

Shelf life is mostly driven by marketing to retailers. “Too bad all that blue macaroni in your warehouse expired after three months. We’ll be glad to sell you more.”

Sometimes determined by food taste changing with time. Rarely driven by potential liability lawsuits if consumers get sick or die from “old” food.

There are some exceptions like fresh dairy that generally don’t apply to backpackers. And two federal agencies regulate different foods, depending on something-or-other that mere mortals can’t understand.

https://www.registrarcorp.com/resources/fda-usda-food-regulations/

And of course they have different rules and disagree sometimes. Guess who loses.

Except “dietary supplements” (vitamins and similar) have (almost) no rules until they start killing people.

Welcome to consumer paradise!

— Rex

OMG – who regulates beefalo?

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Expiration, Use-By and Sell-By dates: What do they really mean?

https://news.extension.uconn.edu/2019/10/30/expiration-use-by-and-sell-by-dates-what-do-they-really-mean/#

October 30, 2019

Often people open up their refrigerators, cupboards and cabinets to find foods that are beyond their sell- buy and use- buy dates. While it is always better to be safe than sorry, the following guidelines and information should help to take the guesswork out of determining whether or not your food is safe to eat.

Dating is not required by US Federal law, with the exception of infant formula and baby foods which must be withdrawn by their expiration date.  For all other foods, except dairy products in some states, freshness dating is strictly voluntary on the part of manufacturers.  For meat, poultry, and egg products under the jurisdiction of the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), dates may be voluntarily applied provided they are not misleading and labeled in a manner that is in compliance with FSIS regulations.  Also stores are not legally required to remove outdated products from their shelves.  In order to ensure you getting the freshest food, it is necessary to scrutinize packaging and purchase the items with the most recent date.  Although most markets are good about rotating their stock, some are not. If a store is properly stocked, the freshest items will be at the back of the shelf or underneath older items.

So what do these terms mean for consumers?

* Expiration Date:   If you have a product with an expired expiration date, throw it out.  While other dating terms are used as a basic guideline, this one is absolute.

*Best if Used-By and Use-By date:

“Use-By” or: Best if Used By” dates are a suggestion for when the food item will be at its best quality.  Food is generally safe if consumed past this date, but may have deteriorated in flavor, texture, or appearance.  “Use- By” dates are most often found on canned goods, dry goods, condiments, or other shelf stable items.  The Food and Drug Administration is supporting the food industry’s efforts to standardize the use of this on its packaged food labeling.

*Sell-By date:

Many fresh or prepared foods are labeled with a “Sell-By” date as a guide for how long the item should be displayed for sale before quality deteriorates.  Items are generally safe for consumption after this date, but may begin to lose flavor or eye appeal.  “Sell-By” dates are chosen with the assumption that the buyer may store or eat the item a few days after purchase.  To be sure your food is fresh and will keep at home, it is best not to buy items that are past their “ sell by” date.

*Guaranteed Fresh

This date is often used for perishable baked goods.  Beyond this date, freshness is no longer guaranteed, although it may still be edible.

*Pack date:

This is the date the item was packed, most often used on canned and boxed items.  It is usually in the form of a code and not easy to decipher.  It may be coded by month(M), day (D) and year (Y) such as YYMMDD or MMDDYY.  Or it may be coded using Julian numbers, where January 1 would be 001 and December 31 would be 365.   These time stamps are generally a reference to the date, time, and location of the manufacture and not be confused with expiration dates.  “Sell-By” or “ Best-By” may also be included on the can code.

So all of this assumes foods are stored at the right temperature.  Foods not refrigerated properly – whether at home or at the store – wont keep as long regardless of what the freshness date says.  So how long are foods good after the package date?  According to the US Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service:

Milk is good for about a week after the “sell by” date
    Eggs can keep for three to five weeks beyond the “sell by” date
    Fresh chicken, turkey and ground meats should be cooked or frozen within two days
    Fresh beef, pork and lamb should be cooked or frozen within three to five days
    Cooking or freezing extends the amount of time a food will keep.  Use your eyes and nose too, to determine if foods are fresh, regardless of the date on the package.

So here are some food storage hints and tips:

1.  Once opened, many of the dates become obsolete since the contents now become perishable. It is advisable to use food as quickly as possible after opening them.
    2.  Be sure to refrigerate leftovers in a covered container (not a can) and use within 3 to 5 days.
    3.  Some canned foods (like condiments and pickled foods) will have a longer shelf life if refrigerated. Most condiments will have a warning to refrigerate after opening on the label.
    4.  When buying foods always check the expiration date. Choose the date farthest in the future for optimum shelf life.
    5.  Like the grocery, rotate your stock at home. Rather than trying to determine the codes on cans, use a marker to write the purchase date on cans and packaged goods.
    6.  Whatever the expiration date, do not open or use cans that are bugling or oozing from the seams, or those that are heavily dented.
    7.  Most baking mixes contain fats which will become rancid with time and leaveners that lose their potency. Check the dates.
    8.  The best storage temperature for canned foods is 65 degrees F. Higher storage temperatures can reduce shelf-life up to 50 percent.  Most canned goods can be stored up to 1 year under optimal temperatures.
    9.  Canned foods should never be frozen. The freezing expansion can split the seams of the can or break the glass.
    10.  Generally, foods canned in glass have a longer shelf-life, but they must be stored in the dark since light can accelerate some natural chemical reactions.
    11.  Look at cellophane, plastic and box packages at the store to be sure they have not been punctured or torn. Once the seal is penetrated, shelf-life of the contents is drastically shortened.
    12.  Bring food home quickly from the store and store it properly for maximum shelf life.
    13.  Trust your vision and smell- if it looks and/or smells bad throw it out.
    14.  A resource available for consumers online with questions about how to keep perishable foods is: The FoodKeeper App (https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/foodkeeperapp/index.html)

Resources:

·         http://www.nrdc.org/food/expiration-dates.asp

·         http://www.urbanext.illinois.edu/thrifyliving/tl-foodfreshness.html

·         http://www.onthetable.net/freshness_dates.html

·         http://www.nutrition411.com/patient-education-materials/food-safety/

Article by: Sherry Gray, MPH, RD, Extension Educator, UConn EFNEP

Updated: September 30, 2019

Ben W
    BPL Member

@binfordw

Packit gourmet used to come in clear boil in bags years back, and had a relatively short “best by” date.  I do recall eating some expired ones, ” market pasta puttanesca” comes to mind once, that was not the same as a “fresh” one.  I believe they have changed all of their packaging since, (I also think they used to use some dehydrated- not freeze dried, ingredients if I’m not mistaken?)

There is a substantial cost involved in lab work to be able to label a package of freeze dried food as 30+ years “best by”.  If the meal is in a proper mylar bag- and is freeze dried, I wouldn’t be concerned over a few years.

Dennis W
    BPL Member

@denniswaite

With packaged FD or dehydrated meals, I’ve had no problems with 3 to 6 months past “Best By” dates. I have, however, I’ve had problems with ProBar meal bars that are near or past their expiration date. For what ever reason, those bars in particular, caused some significant GI problems that fresh bars did not. Middle of the night forays out of the shelter during a below-zero blizzard was no fun.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I’ve never even looked at the dates on my freeze dried, unopened food. Nor on the sealed boxes and cans in my pantry. I probably still won’t! In 58 years I’ve had one case of food poisoning, from a fancy French restaurant in Minneapolis. Both my mother and I had the scallops, and both met in the bathroom at 2am, then 3 am, then 4 am… I think we tend to overreact a bit on food package dates. More of a worry to me is what went into the food in the first place – like campylobacter in infant formula! Or E.coli in fresh lettuce. yikes. But yeah, here in the USA we’ve deregulated business and defunded government so we get to take our chances.

Sweden Survival
    BPL Member

@swedensurvival

Locale: Sweden

I don’t look at the expirations dates. Especially not for outdoor meals but not even in daily life except for seafood and most meat products. I believe humans sense when something is not eatable, I have experienced this many time even with products far within the expiration dates. Is it risky? Well I don’t know, I reached 42

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

If it is commercially sealed meals, you will be fine. The newer packaging holds food well, and they have oxygen absorbers in them.

Expiration dates are suggestions – outside of fresh meat, dairy and baby food.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools