Topic

Experience with Topo Athletic shoes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Experience with Topo Athletic shoes?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Lachlan Fysh
    BPL Member

@lachlanfysh

Hey guys,

Finally got a chance to try on a pair of these (MT-2 model) and was quite impressed – Footbox is wide like Altra, but the midfoot and heel lock down way better and the shoe just seems better made, construction reminds me of Merrell which makes me hopeful they’ll last a long time – an experience I’ve not had with Altra…

Anyway, I’m pretty well sold, but I was hoping for some long term reviews and particularly would like to know if anyone has compared the MT-2s to the Runventures? I’m leaning towards the Runventures because the stack height sounds right for me and the uppers are billed as more durable, but I’m worried the the full length rock plate will make them too stiff.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I own a pair of Topo Ahtletic Oterro (no longer made) that I got about an year back.

I love the fit and found them far more durable than the three generations of Altra Lone Peaks I’ve also owned. The Oterro has a very minimalist feel – good foot protection but almost no padding in the sole. I personally like the “ground feel” but feet can get sore after very long days on rocky trails (in my case > 20 miles).

I’ve used them on day hikes and multi-day backpacking trips with about a 30 lb pack.

Josh Durston
    BPL Member

@superj

I’m curious too to hear from anyone who has put some miles on in Topos.  I tried them both on in store (Runventures and MT-2s).  The MT-2 was noticeably more cushioned but lacked a bit of the nimbleness of the Runventure.  They both seems to isolate the pressure points of uneven rocks pretty well, but in a different manner.  The Runventures have a rock plate which makes them feel lower and more stable on river stone, but the MT-2 thicker cushioning without the rock plate still prevents pressure points pretty well.

I think you’d need to put at least 15 miles on to be able to decide between the Mt-2s and runventures.  I like the initial feel (low nimble) of the Runventures but am slightly concerned that the lack of cushioning compared to the MT-2s will make them feel fatiguing after a full day.

I was looking some Inov-8 Roclite 295s (or 85s can’t remember), but after trying on the Topos nothing else seemed to fit right.  I really wanted to like the Inov-8s since they look like they are the best constructed, but I wasn’t happy with the fit.  Also, compared to the Brooks Cascadias, and Altra Lone Peak 2.5s.  The Topos felt way more secure than the Altras but still gave a nice roomy toe box.  The Brooks felt too much like low cut hikers, kinda heavy and clunky even though they fit ok.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

I’ve had the Topo Runduro shoes for about 18 months now.  I have several pairs of atheletic/trail shoes so that’s why they’ve lasted so long.  I think this model has been superseded, so you can get them for cheap now.

These are more of a road running and fitness shoe, but are fine for light trail duty.  I wore them last summer on a 3-day trip with 1 ~20 mile day in southern Yosemite.  At that time I was still using superfeet, and they functioned well as a rock plate.  They have held up admirably with very little wear.  They’re not quite as minimal as something like New Balance MT-10 (or whatever the new model is), but they do have a wide toe box like Altra and are very light.  I’m interested in the Runventure model VS. Altra Lone Peak 2.5 for un upcoming JMT through hike.  I think a barefoot-esque shoe with a rock plate is a good combo for backpacking.

The Runventure’s are listed at 8.9oz (size 9) per shoe and Altra LP 2.5 are 10.6oz.  Remember that each ounce on your feet is estimated to be equivalent to 4-6oz in your pack from an energy expenditure perspective (Source), so that weight difference isn’t inconsequential.

My only disappointment is that TOPO has stopped using the Boa lacing system.  It’s extremely quick to use and gives a nice snug fit – so convenient.  And you don’t have to every worry about lacing coming untied or laces breaking since the Boa ‘laces’ are stainless steel.  Perhaps people like just more traditional lacing though.

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

I looked at the Topo Athletic model in REI Berkeley yesterday. Really like the tread and the wide toe box and the cush in the heal… But didn’t bother trying them on as they don’t have enough padding for me… With one hand inside and pushing on the outside bottom with a finger I could feel it… sharp rocks would be horrible… especially with a pack.

billy

Anonymous
    Inactive

“And you don’t have to every worry about lacing coming untied or laces breaking since the Boa ‘laces’ are stainless steel.”

I had a pair of shoes with Boa laces–i’m not sure if they were made of stainless steel or not, but one of the shoes, the “lace” broke, and not with much abuse, use, or over tightening.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

I had a pair of shoes with Boa laces–i’m not sure if they were made of stainless steel or not, but one of the shoes, the “lace” broke, and not with much abuse, use, or over tightening.

Were they Topo shoes? I wonder if they use a stronger Boa version if so.

But either way I guess I shouldn’t say you never have to worry, but YMMV. The time I’ve saved not tying my shoes has saved me several hours, I’m sure. Sorta a moot point though since Topo only has one model left with the Boa system now.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They are not Topo’s.  MBT’s.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Hmm, interesting. I tried on a pair of Oterros at a clearance sale last summer and liked everything about them except the shape of the ankle cut-outs. The tall, pointy parts of the opening hit right on my ankle bone, and the sides are pretty rigid, too, not squishy like an Altra. I really wish they’d worked — they seem more durable than my Altras and with a less sloppy fit in the heel.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I just wore out a pair of Topo Athletic Oterros and loved them: very durable, well made and fit me perfectly. I’m used to running/hiking in minimal shoes but my feet felt sore after 20+ mile days on rocky terrain especially with a pack on.

I tried on a pair of MTs but I don’t like their fit; they have a narrower toe box than the Oterros which is a deal breaker for me. BTW, REI Outlet has a great deal on them right now; I got a pair for ~ $50 but had to return them.

I understand the MT-2s have a rock plate but I haven’t tried those on yet.

Kevin E
    Spectator

@mrmeursault

The uppers on my MT-2s completely blew out on both shoes within 300 miles on the PCT.  They are garbage.  Don’t do it.  The runventures have the rock plate not mt-2s

http://imgur.com/vl4We15

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

<div id=”alttext-container”></div>
    The uppers on my MT-2s completely blew out on both shoes within 300 miles on the PCT.  They are garbage.  Don’t do it.  The runventures have the rock plate not mt-2s

http://imgur.com/vl4We15

Wow, you were not exagerating when you said they blew out… <:-O

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools