Topic

Experience w/ Mystery Ranch Coulee 40

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Experience w/ Mystery Ranch Coulee 40

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

I know that this may not be the place to ask this question lol. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the MR Coulee 40? I use the MR Scree 32 and love it as my day pack. Perfect size (32L), entire bag opens up to get my things out, I can pack my snowshoes, and Its a women’s specific bag (godsend). Anyway, super tough and is an excellent bag for what I do (except for 1 thing). I have a 2 year old and I use the Trail Magik Kid carrier that attaches to the front of whatever bag you are using to carry your kid. This carrier is awesome…Allows me to give my kiddo a break when needed as we are hiking. The problem is the Scree has attachment points but its pretty uncomfortable to pack with my kiddo (weighs 25 lbs) because the scree isn’t made for that kind of weight. I don’t want to use a traditional back pack (that would be too big for day hikes) even though I know it would handle the weight. In comes the Coulee 40. Looks like is would be robust enough to carry the weight but not be too big for day hikes.  I would like to know your thoughts if you have used it. Thank you for your time.

Hope W

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

I had the 40 and it is a robust pack. I liked the external pockets and other features, but I think it is the same Futura Yolk chassis as the scree.

I have been using the Ravine 50 and it handles weight better than the Coulee 40 for me. Maybe that would work, but it also uses the Futura Yolk.

I would call MR to see if the Futura Yolk is different in the Scree vs Coulee vs Ravine.

http://www.outdooraesthetics.org/outdoor-lab/mystery-ranch-ravine-50-backpack/

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

@ Lowell

I know the Scree has the same shoulder straps (Futura Yoke) but has a different hip belt. The Sphinx 60, Ravine 50, and (I think) the Coulee 40 all have the same yoke and hip belt. Problem with the Scree is the hip belt…not adequate enough for the load. The hip belt is more of a stabilizer vs. a loadbearing hip belt.

So do you still have the Coulee 40? Can you tell me what you like and dislike about it? If you sold it why did you sell it?

I love Mystery Ranch…I have the Sphinx 60 and it can handle the load well. I recently switched to a ULA Ohm 2.0 because my load is significantly lighter than it use to be. I’m not sure I won’t go back to the Sphinx. I love that Mystery Ranch has women’s specific bags and they are very comfortable. I know at BPL we ae trying to lighten our load but I do like old reliable Mystery Ranch. I’ve even thought about buying the Bridger lol.

Hopearotie
    BPL Member

@hopearotieyahoo-com

@Lowell

Could the Coulee fit gear for a weekend trip?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools