Topic

Exped vs Neoair

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped vs Neoair

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I’m curious if anyone owns both what you prefer better ect… any experience with warranties ? temp ratings accurate? ect. specifically interested in side sleepers. i know this is highly subjective, i just wish i could try different mats with out buying them!!

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Main differences to me are:

Longitudinal baffles are more comfortable to me.  Exped less noisey.

Neo airs seem warmer per rating (but I dont think the Expeds are below their rating), I’ve had fewer punctures with far more use time with my Neos.  In the couple of years I’ve used Expeds I’ve had more holes that I’ve ever had with any Thermarest.

(I have first gen  Neos, Two Xlites of different models, and an Xtherm. Downmat, Hyperlite duo, megamat duo… all tested in my living room)  (JK over 20 nights with each… well not the Megamat)

FWIW I’ll use any one at any time still, depending on the trip and what I feel like using, So “in conclusion” I’d say feel free to pick which ever you want and dont feel bad, maybe just try the differences in baffle direction?  To me that the biggest difference.

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

I was wondering as much. I only have experience with the neo air and klymit’s. i may pick up a exped just to try the other direction of baffles. sleep is way more important than weight :)

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

+1Jeffs.

I have both. The direction of the baffles differ, neo makes noise and the Exped mats are , to me, a lot more comfortable. I use the Exped for car camping and the neo for backpacking – or foam.

Cheers

Victor Hoyt
    BPL Member

@vhoyt

Locale: Hudson Highlands

This may not be terribly helpful since it’s not a direct comparison. I have a NeoAir XLite, and I have an Exped Down insulated pad for winter. I love them both with one exception. Obviously the weight comparison is irrelevant. I don’t know about the rest of ExPed’s lineup; however, I commented because I truly despise the way the ExPed blows up. It has a built in “pump”. If the rest of their pads use the same system, I’d vote for the NeoAir hands down.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I had an Exped synmat 7 with the built in pump. Hated the pump, but most of their mattresses now use the “schnozzle” silnylon stuff stack to inflate with. The schnozzle works great.

I have used the synmat 7 UL for three years (r value 3.3, weighs roughly 1 Lb). 2 years with original yellow one, then, a baffle failed and they replaced it with the newer orange one which I have used for the past year. The one that failed did not fail by losing air (deflation). Instead, it failed when one of the internal baffles failed. That caused the top surface of the pad to develop a large bump. But it still kept me off the ground and kept me warm.

I find the Exped to be very comfortable, and quiet. I like how the edge baffles are slightly enlarged and kind of cradle you in the pad.

Looking at the specs it looks hard to beat the Neoair Xtherm…but..tried it at a store, noisy indeed, and their 20″ does seem nearly as functionally wide as a 20″ Exped pad. If I lay on my back with the regular size Xterm, my arms fall off to the sides. Plus, I like the rectangular shape of the Exped better than the Xtherm/Xlite  mummy shape. True, the Xtherm also comes in a rectangular “Max” version, but the 20″ is not wide enough (elbows falling off), which would push me to the 25″ wide version , and  it does not have such a great weight advantage (compared to the the Exped UL) any more.

I am sticking with Exped for now.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Victor, you can use a Schnozzle pump sack to inflate your downmat, and it will inflate much faster than using the built in pump…you just need a schnozzle and this:

http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-category/mats/flatvalve-adapter

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

You can also get the same down mats except without the internal pump.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

I’m done with the Ex-Peds and any mattress that uses their type of inflation valve.  I really like the mattress but after three of them leaking at the valves that are not fixable by design, I quit.   As a thru-hiker this is something I don’t want to deal with and the Neo-Air has a valve that can be replaced while on trail with a spare valve (0.3 oz)  and a squirt of glue.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

three of them leaking at the valves that are not fixable by design,
    Very strange.
    I have heard some complaints about different features of the Exped mats, and my wife and I have used UL7s for many years, but valve failures are not something which I have ever noticed. Statistically speaking, valve failures would seem to be very rare.

When I read of someone having three valve failures in a row I am left to wonder whether it is the mat and valve failing or whether it could be how the valve was used. The statistics for this sort of happening bias me one way.

Were any of the failed valves actually tested in a bathtub? Were the valves fully seated? Was the leak from the bond between the valve and the mat, or was it from the rim of the plug? I am curious.

Cheers

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools