Topic

Exped Synmat HL Duo questions…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Synmat HL Duo questions…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Derek M.
    BPL Member

@dmusashe

Locale: Southern California

Sizing

I recently purchased an Exped Synmat HL Duo Winter LW and found that the actual measurements of the foot portion of the mat are far bigger than the official specs indicate.  Specifically, I measured the inflated foot portion to be over 45 inches when the spec sheet says 40.6 inches.  This is not a small difference.

I am now wondering if the LW size of the non-winter version is also similarly large?  If anyone has experience with this mat and can measure it when inflated, please let me know what you find!

Also, does anyone have experience with the M sized version of either of these pads?  They seem quite narrow for two regular adults, clocking in at only 41.3 inches wide at the shoulders and 32.3 inches at the feet.  Are these measurements accurate?  I’ve never thought that 20 inches is a wide enough sleep surface for one adult human, but maybe having two conjoined 20″ surfaces helps a lot?  Not sure…

For what it’s worth, the LW version is gigantic for us, as we’re both average sized US adults under 6 feet tall.  It’s quite deluxe, but it comes at a size and weight penalty for sure.

Warmth

The winter version of the HL Duo has an ASTM R-value of 5.2.  The non-winter version of the HL Duo has an ASTM R-value of 2.9.  That’s quite a big gap between these two pads.  I’m intending to use this pad for a CDT thru hike with my wife, and can’t quite decide if the 2.9 R-value pad is going to be warm enough.  The winter version is definitely overkill for this kind of a trip, but I also don’t want to be cold at night.  Anyone with experience with the regular version of this pad in 3-season conditions down into the teens, please chime in!

Thanks for any info!

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

I Have the rectangular Synmat 7 UL. Same construction as the hyperlite non-winter version, same thickness, same denier fabric, same insulation. The only thing different is the shape.

My experience is that it is fine down to around 30 degrees if not camping on snow. If camping on snow, in spring here in WA state, I find that I get a slight chill if the temps are down at 40 degrees or lower. So, I take a 1/4″ thick closed-cell foam pad along usually to place between the exped pad and the floor of the tent.

It is a nice pad, packs up small, and is very comfortable, and quiet (no crinkly noises), easy to inflate, easy to deflate. I do wish it had a slightly higher r-value though as we do end-up camping on snow until sometime in late July.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools