Topic

Exped Schnozzel Works with new Nemo Tensor!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Exped Schnozzel Works with new Nemo Tensor!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I just bought a Nemo Tensor UL, which is the most comfortable backpacking pad that I’ve ever used and it is replacing my exped UL7.  I was a bit disappointed by the Vortex pumpsack b/c of its lack of dual use like with the  Exped Schnozzel that I used with my UL7.  The Vortex pump sack works well, but it just seems silly that it was not made to be used as a dry sack or at least for storage/organization since it has a narrow opening and a hole on the bottom.  As a pleasant surprise, I found out that the Schnozzel fits to pump the Tensor.   This makes me happy for two reasons:  1)  The Schnozzel is an excellent dry bag.  2)  With the Schnozzel (unlike with the Vortex), you don’t have to breathe into it introducing bacteria and moisture into the pad.  You simply wave the Schnozzel in the air.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

That is great news.  You are right about the Vortex, no dual use.  I wonder if the S2S pump bag also fits the Nemo?

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I forgot to mention that they both supposedly weigh 2 oz., but I have not honestly bothered to weigh either one.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

I used my vortex bag on my tensor and there was definitely a ton of condensation inside the pad in the morning. The only issue I had with the schnozzel bag was that it didn’t mate perfectly to the tensor pad. I could have messed something up though

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I don’t understand the Nemo Vortex.   What’s the point of an inflation bag that you blow into?   The entire reason for an inflation bag is to avoid using moisture-laden breath to inflate your pad.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

Lol I know! Can’t help but laugh at the absurdity

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I was looking at the new Nemo Tensor pads. And was hoping I could use the Exped Schnozzle – thanks for confirming.

Still deciding between a Tensor insulated small, or non-insulated full length.
    Which one do you have and if you’ve used it how do you like it temp wise?

(I personally would like to use the set up for fast packing and with the food and water volume I really have to watch grams and volume. So small torso pad seems logical. But the thickness of the pad makes me doubt side sleeping on it is going to be ok with the drop off to my thin CCF pad/pack.)

BH
    Spectator

@pointeaubaril

I’m 5’11 with somewhat broad shoulders and I went with the long/wide non-insulated. Temperatures rarely get below freezing during the time of year we do most of our backpacking. Nemo claims the non-insulated pad is good down to 35 degrees. I sleep with a 10-degree quilt. I figure if I really need more r-value, I could add a foam pad or use my NeoAir Xtherm on that particular trip. I’m not fond of the NeoAir because it’s slippery, narrow (it’s the regular size) and loud.

I just don’t sleep well on pads that are too short or narrow. I’m not very tall but with a regular length pad I find that my pillow or feet struggle to stay on the pad all night. In my case, the extra weight is worth getting better sleep, which ultimately translates into a net gain compared to carrying a little less weight and not getting quality sleep.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

I have a regular mummy non-insulated Tensor for summer use.  It is spec’d at 12 oz.  When it arrived, the entire ensemble (pad, Vortex and stuff sack) weighed 16.1 oz.  The pad alone weighs 13.4 oz.  That’s over 10% above specs.  It’s very comfortable and I’m still going to use it in a week, but I call BS on their weights.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, I got a Sea to Summit inflating dry bag B/C it matched the valve on my REI FLASH Insulated and FLASH All Season air mattresses. On the trail it becomes a dry bag for my clothes.

I’m glad REI had the smarts to make their inflation valves compatible with StS inflator bags.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Got a NEMO Tensor Insulated long wide pad on sale at REI, and used it on a two-day trip where the overnight temperatures were in the mid 40s F. First night was hell because of the slope on the “recommended” campsite; second night was flat and I slept straight through. I’m a light sleeper, and couldn’t detect any noise from the mylar layers, unlike the Neoairs. I’m really liking this pad so far.

I too was disappointed that the included Vortex pump bag wasn’t dual-use, but it worked pretty well – three bags to full inflation. Schnozzel is on my wish list, to replace a 1 ounce nylofume bag, so net increase of 1 ounce.

— Rex

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

The S2S inflation bag also fits Nemo flat valve, REI and other flat valves. Big Agnes oversize flat valve is now the odd man out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools