Topic

Expected Night Temps – San Juan Mountains, Colorado?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Expected Night Temps – San Juan Mountains, Colorado?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Timothy H
    Spectator

@timh-2

What night temperatures can I expect at altitude in the San Juan Mountains Colorado?

The trip will be either the week of August 19 or September 9 with a preference for September.

I’ve looked at the climate data for nearby cities such as Silverton and Telluride but am hoping that someone with experience can tell me what to expect from 10k to 13k ft in the surrounding countryside – Cinnamon Pass, Engineers, Black Bear, etc.

I’m not looking for Donner Party experiences – extremes and outliers. That’s all I really get when I ask individuals. “It was so cold one year that I had to eat my leg” and so forth. I know that it can snow in September.

What am I really looking at for normal nighttime temps? Can someone ballpark or let me know what you have encountered?

-Tim-

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I live and play smack dab in the middle of the San Juans.  Nighttime temps at elevation can vary depending upon storm fronts.  In August, you can expect high 40’s on warm nights.  Upper 20’s on cold nights.  Likely the same thing in early September as we often have a bit of an Indian summer then.  Snow can happen any night but will likely melt off quickly as soon as the sun appears.

Mindful campsite management is key to mitigating temps.  Avoid low-lying areas.  Even moving up a hundred feet from a valley floor or drainage basin makes a world of difference.

Happy Trails.

H

Timothy H
    Spectator

@timh-2

Fantastic info. Thanks!

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Good stuff, Matt!

Site selection indeed. Wind protection can go a long ways (be mindful of deadfall or anything leaning). I learned that the hard way in the San Juans and Sangres (lived in TX and OK back then – we called strong winds tornadoes).

Check mountain weather reports. On the NOAA website you can find remote weather station locations and see the usual data for that location – temp, wind, direction, gusts, barometric pressure, relative humidity, dew point. Pick the point nearest your location/elevation and/or the one upwind of you. Or carry an instrument to gather that data, like Ryan does!

Mid Sept, aspen time, can’t be beat!

Cheers,
    Bill in Roswell

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

My CT hike last yr ended Sept 1 in Durango.

Couple night near freezing, one 29. At camping elevations, not highest.  Pretty much as said above, 30s and 40s, a few 50s even . Its all over.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

Bring a real 20F bag and be prepared to sleep in all your clothes if things go sideways.  Temps drop about 7-10F for every 1000ft of elevation gain.  That said, the advice above about staying out of valleys (particularly closed valleys) is key.  Also, if you choose the Wet Mountains near Crestone, expect rain and some very cold nights.  Oh, and if they say 30% chance of rain, it will rain.  The higher the number, the longer the duration.  Enjoy!

P.s.-Check out Ice Lake and Island Lake.  Spectacular!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools