Topic

EXOS 38 vs EXOS 48

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EXOS 38 vs EXOS 48

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I have an EXOS 38 that I use for 2-3 days mild weather. As the EXOS 48 seems to be a good price now before the new one comes, I am thinking I might get one (EXOS48) for cold Australian (not snow- nights no lower than -2C /days up to about 10C) temperate weather 3-4+ days. My question for those that have both, and I am sure some people must, is there that big a difference? For example when you start loading them up can you notice a marked size increase with the 48 over the 38? Can you see, and importantly does the 10L really show? Are we talking about another layer of space at the top of about 10 cms over the 38? Kind thanks to anyone that can help.

David P
    BPL Member

@trailguru

Locale: United States

I can’t speak for the 38L but I do have the 58L and the 46L (older EXOS) and the amount of space is significant. In my experience (also given the minimum weight gain) it’s worth going for the 48L as it’s just an all arounder vs a 38L which can limit your options especially if you have to lug additional load when travelling or helping out a friend

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Thanks David for your thoughts. This is what I guessed as well, and looking at the new Exos for next year-no hip pockets, only one shoulder pocket and for a while at least much more expensive! I thought this would be a good time to pick an older/current model 48. The advantage as I see it after feedback from yourself and others suggests this would be a good size for my winter loads. The 38 would still be fine up to 12kgs and less clothing i.e my regions 3 seasons. Cheers Graham

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

HA! I have a Large Exos 58 and still put on side pockets that add another 500 cu. in. I do it B/C I want some items fast, like stove & fuel, 1st aid kit, water treatment kit & potty kit!

So yeah, it adds a few ounces but I can’t seem to do without them.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Graham,

The 2018 Osprey Exos will still have hip belt pockets, and the price increase is only $10. You’re probably thinking of the Levity, which is more expensive and lacks hip belt pockets.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Thanks kindly Jim, I saw some pics and I thought they had been removed. I can buy an exos for about 120US at the moment. That is part of the reason I am looking at the older model.  200US for the new model youch!

I really want the Talon 44 2017 model but I am concerned about the carry weight and venting which is outstanding on the Exos.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools