Topic

eVent Bivies Still on the Market?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) eVent Bivies Still on the Market?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nathanael R
    Spectator

@nater

Hello all,

I’m looking to possibly purchase a WPB bivy made with eVent fabric sometime later this year. I’m looking to ditch the tent and start cowboy camping this summer when rain isn’t expected, but want something lightweight with me in the event it does rain or there’s a lot of wind. I’d like to give an eVent bivy a try for this, as I’ve read it’s the fabric that is the last likely to have condensation issues. I have no issues with claustrophobia, and the idea of just picking a spot, throwing down a bivy, and crawling in sounds great.

Who all makes eVent bivies nowadays? Looking back at previous posts, it looks like there were several companies that made them, but at this point all I can find is the MLD Soul bivy. Have all the rest discontinued them?

Also, has anyone done a comparison of the different eVent bivies that have been made? Or is eVent just eVent? (all the same performance)

And lastly, how does breathing inside of one of those work? Is there enough air exchange through the fabric even when covered in water, or do you need to leave the zipper slightly open?

Thank you

Nate

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Summertime I wouldn’t use an Event bivy. In wintertime i would.

Check out Katabatic Gear Bristlecone bivy or even Pinòn bivy.  And then carry a small lightweight tarp for cover in case of rain.

Heck, in summer summer I would only use my Borah gear bug bivy.. with a small tarp if needed.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Mountain Laurel Designs offers two:  Event Soul Bivy and FKT Event Bivy.  I have used the Soul Bivy and liked it.

JStanky
    BPL Member

@jstanky

Locale: SF Bay Area

Second to what dirtbag said.  Water resistant breathable top fabric is what you want for summer.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A cuben shelter is probably lighter and works better.

Nathanael R
    Spectator

@nater

Thanks for the replies, all. Night time low temperatures around where I’ve been going are usually in the 50s or 60s in the hottest part of the year (it is also very low humidity). Would mainly be looking to cowboy camp and figure they’re light enough to have one on-hand for the off chance it rains. Not looking to spend the $$$ for a cube shelter.

After spending some more time looking around, it appears only MLD and Rab make them at this point.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I recently did a search for the same thing, same use, and ended up getting an MSR Pro Bivy. I’ve only used it a few times this winter so not a good test for condensation (or rain!) but it’s lighter and cheaper than the event bivys and available with no lead time.

Maybe someone here has more experience with it year-round and could tell you about summer use. I know Ryan Jordan has been using one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools