Topic

Evaluation of Duck Vs. Goose Down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Evaluation of Duck Vs. Goose Down

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Stokley
    BPL Member

@copilgrim

Is there a quality evaluation of the difference between duck down and goose down? I have many allergies and can’t find good, comparative data to use in making a choice. I have used a goose down filled quilt with no ill effects but, would consider duck down for cost savings.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Ron, when I did a stint in Antarctica we were all issued an amazing duck down parka. It was red, for better visibility in case we got “lost” while doing a walk on the sea ice (our neighbors at the nearby New Zealand base had black parkas. I guess they thought that color would absorb more radiant heat from the ever-present solar rays). Our U.S. parkas were made in Canada.

Apparently the Canadian duck down is a more effective insulation than U.S. duck down. I found a company (in Maine or New Hampshire?) that carried a line of jackets and parkas  made in Canada by a company called Canada Goose. I bought one, and I’ve always been glad that I did. Coupled with a pair of Western Mountaineering  goose down pants, and an insulated face mask and good gloves, I’m good to at least  -20* F. Or likely quite a bit colder than that.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

I should add another thing about the Canada Goose parkas, Ron. After I posted my first reply to you, I googled the Canada Goose web site. When I bought my parka, I think I paid about $350-400 for it in 2000. I see that they are selling for well over $1000 now – serious inflation. I think the owner of the store cut me a discount, as he was working on the Ice the same time I was, and he remembered me.

I don’t know what to tell you about U.S. duck down’s quality. But I would think that a company like The North Face would have a quality product. However, they likely won’t have Canadian duck down in their parkas. Why don’t you just go with goose down, and consider it a Christmas present to yourself?

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I just tried to come to an independent answer and could find basically zero scientific data to support any statements made about goose down being superior. It would make logical sense a larger bird produces larger down clusters which we desire, but beyond that I found no websites link to any sort of research supporting their claims that goose down is superior.

My take is at this point, the people pushing goose down are making a buck from it. The 3rd party reviewers seem to say there is little practical difference in the vast majority of situations. The extreme outlier situations there may be some difference, but again this was not quantified in a repeatable and meaningful way so I take these claims as self serving until I see hard data like the great Steven Seber produces.

This is another pitch – I’ll donate $1/mo to steven to test warm stuff for us and you should too! This would be another great test – Goose vs Duck! Or someone send him 2 small pillows full of goose and duck down of the same full power and weight

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Another concept to consider – perhaps the Canadian ducks have adapted to the colder conditions up north, and have beefed up the “insulation” quality of their down (compared to that of the U.S. ducks).

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

They go south for the winter !

thom

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I’ve always thought, at least when I bought into SnowLion’s marketing, that the criteria factor is fill power.  That goose or duck, fill power dictates performance.

From what I’ve seen, goose down is more readily available at high fill power, but otherwise there is no measurable difference.

Is this understanding incorrect?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I believe your understanding is entirely correct.

I believe Polish goose down from DOWN farms (they exist) ranks higher than Chinese duck down (they eat a lot of ducks there, and the down is just a by-product) but eider duck down ranks even higher. The latter is collected after the breeding season from eider duck nests in the wild. That said, you should see the prices for Polish goose and eider duck.

Cheers

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

Eider down is an expensive product due to quality and sourcing costs

Polish goose down isn’t that expensive.  Polish down gear by Brands such as Cumulus are competitively priced and very good quality. Using high end fabrics from Pertex and Toray too.

Quite popular with the UL inclined UK and European hikers.  We have 2 quilts and 3 bags by 2 Polish makers (Cumulus and Tundra).  Much better “bang for your buck” than similar quality and spec UK brands.

Duck down seems to be lower fill power (so heavier for same temperature ratings)  and lower cost here. I don’t know if durability is any different to goose down.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

‘Down’ is never 100% down: there are always some small feathers left in the mix. (Possible exception for eider down.) But sometimes I do wonder whether the small feathers don’t add a bit of structure to the down, and prolong its life. Afaik, this has never been researched.

Cheers

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I prefer goose down because I’ve stepped in goose leavings often enough that I don’t really mind if they die for no other reason than me getting a cheaper sleeping bag.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Goose and duck down, of the same fill power, are so close as to be identical. That said, geese are larger and produce larger feathers, soo, you usually get a somewhat higher fill power rating out of them. But, this is discounting the fact that Eider, Muskovy, etc (duck species) down has somewhat larger “nubs” on each barbule of a down feather and , consequently, tends to stick together more. In use, this forms a more even coating over you in a quilt/bag even though it may not be as thick(fluffy) as goose down. Anyway, Eider is technically rated less than high quality goose down, but Eider is acknowledged as the best insulation for most uses.
    So, I guess the answer depends on how you want to use it.

Andrew
    BPL Member

@twistytee

I have a Canadian made underquilt filled with 800 fill white duck down. It’s Hutterite down and comes from rural prairie communities that raise the ducks as a primary food source without growth hormones or artificial measures. I also have an 800 fill white goose down quilt from another manufacturer. I honestly cannot tell the difference in fill quality as all down of the same fill power is said to have the same insulating properties. Both compress very well and given the free range method the Hutterites use to raise their geese and ducks, the duck down UQ appears to have fuller down and loft than comparable goose down bags I have owned from larger manufacturers.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools