Topic

Estes, CO backpacking trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Estes, CO backpacking trip

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Hi all,
    Going to be vacationing in Estes this year, literally renting a house in downtown Estes.

Looking for a 2-3 day backpacking trip recommendation that’s with in 2hr drive, hopefully without a permit or at least one that is easy to get.

I’ll be there mid July.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

The national park is difficult permit-wise. We were there last summer and did a couple of really nice trips into Indian Peaks. Permits are required but pretty easy if you plan just a few days ahead (at least they were last year). We really liked our hike out of Hessie trailhead. It goes up to Jasper Lake and Devil’s Thumb Lake. You can loop around the continental divide there too. We day hiked out of the Brainard Lake area too. It was also very nice high country access. I wouldn’t hesitate to do a trip out of there also.

Some people I climbed with highly recommended an area north of the national park. I think it was called Comanche Peak.

If you climb at all, it’s also great area for almost any level of climbing.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Indian Peaks is good. That area can be very scenic and very popular. If you’re doing a backpack trip I’d try to keep most of it farther from trail heads so you get away from the day hike crowds.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

High season Indian Peaks permits are not necessarily easy to get for the more desirable areas. It’s horribly over-crowded now, and most trailheads fill by 6am.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Ugh. Dan I didn’t realize it was that bad. But I haven’t been there since I was 14 or 15 now that I think about it. Time flies.

Look at a map and find a place a bit more off the beaten path that still has alpine.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Yeah, Indian Peaks has seen a lot of change in usage over the last 10 years.

James Montavon
    BPL Member

@ct_jmonty-2

Would second that Indian Peaks is both beautiful and crowded- I’ve still found good luck on weekday trips there (see a good amount of people, but still plenty of solitude if you want it), but I avoid weekends completely.
    A farther drive but much less crowded is the Neota Wilderness to the north (or you could start in the park and hike out, would avoid backpacking permit but not sure about car-overnight regulations); another option could be driving over Trail Ridge Road (closed now, should be open in mid July) and doing Indian Peaks from the West- much more parking spots.

If you are willing to drive more than a few hours from Estes, your options open up a lot. You could do a section of the Colorado trail (Breckenridge to Copper/vice versa is easy logistically as you can leave a car and take the free Bustang, then hike back to your car), or the Lost Creek Wilderness Loop, both relatively popular, or explore the Medicne Bow-Routt National Forest for more solitude.

Don’t know where you’re coming from or your familiarity with CO, but one of the great joys I’ve found living out here is a long road trip to a trailhead is filled with breathtaking beauty along the way. I’m local, PM me if you want to talk more details or if I could help shuttling.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I did 2 trips in Indian Peaks last July. Using the app, I had no problem getting first choice permits just a couple days in advance. We saw other people, for sure, but it wasn’t crowded by eastern standards.

Another option not mentioned is James Peak Wilderness. It’s about 2 hours away and I don’t think any permits at all are required. It’s just south of Indian Peaks. I have not been but have heard it is nice country.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

I’d be happy to share some ideas with the OP by private message, but I’m definitely not posting them in a publicly searchable forum. And if you are from the front range, I’d ask you to think twice before doing so. This thread is discussing our backyard.

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I’m sure you checked, but the RMNP backcountry reservation page online may have some worthwhile destinations for an overnight in the park itself, even if the “best” sites are already booked. Call the wilderness office, the rangers are really helpful.

You can also take advantage of your proximity and the shuttle system – get an alpine start to hike from Bear Lake to Fern Lake, or Bear Lake up and over the divide to Grand Lake via Flattop Mountain.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

It’s been several years and May no longer be the case, but the Wild Basin area of the park made for a great uncrowded 3 day route with a x-country section on the divide and over Mt Alice.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

+1 on Wild Basin, Beautiful down there and far fewer day hikers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools