Topic

Escarpment Trail, Catskills NY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Escarpment Trail, Catskills NY

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Companion forum thread to: Escarpment Trail, Catskills NY

Escarpment, which means there is an abrupt change in elevation—most commonly a slope or cliff—that is caused by erosion, gives an indication of the la

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Another great video of your trip – thanks for posting.  Having done a number of hikes with Bob (but only one with Mike) I’m especially impressed that you were in the lead heading up Blackhead Mountain!  I never saw much of Bob except his pack disappearing down the trail ahead of me.  I learned early on that I shouldn’t try to keep up with him.  I’ll see him at some point when he stops to make a mid-morning cup of coffee, lunch, or when it’s time to set up camp.

Thanks again!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

What an amazing place. Enjoyed the video…thanks for taking the time to post.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thank you both!!!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

One of my older daughters who loves to backpack lives in Burlington VT and this would be a great hike for the two of us to do (I’d be coming up from PA).  You mind sharing your logistics?  Specifically:

• Which trailhead did you use to start and end your hike
    • I saw that you spent the first night at the Batavia Kill shelter, but that you camped away from it.  Was there a picnic table there?  A privy?  Just curious.
    • Your second night was around North Point – at one of the lookouts but not in an established campsite, right?  Would you make a different choice?
    • Since you were mostly on ridgetops the second day did you have access to any water or did you carry what you needed for the 2nd and 3rd days from the water at Batavia Kill?

Thanks!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

It most certainly would be a great hike!!

We called Smilys cab service for a shuttle.  $55 and $2 each additional person. We parked our cars on Schutt road trail head, near North South Lake Campground.. that trail head is the end ( or Beginning) of the Escarpment trail. Smilys cab met us there and shuttle us to the other trail head.. on Rt. 23.. about a 35 minute drive or so.

Batavia Kill area is great. There is a reliable stream right there where we camped. The lean to is nice, i just prefer to avoid sleeping in or close to them unless emergency or only option.  I believe there is a privy behind it.. if I recall from past times there.. but we did not look around for it.  No picnic tables!

Our second nights camp was about a 10 minute hike BEFORE north Point.  Had we known about North Point area, we all agreed we would have hiked on and camped there!! No doubt. When I do it again.. that is where I will camp!!!

Day 2 we filled up at Batavia Kill.. before leaving camp..only 1 liter. About halfway on day 2..there is a trail junction.. Dutcher Notch. There is a reliable spring at Dutchers Notch.. a short walk down the trail. If doing the trail as we did.. you would MAKE A LEFT at the junction.. the trail signs also point you left for SPRING!  We cameled up there then carried about 3 or 4 liters each.. since rest of the trail would be dry and also dry camping that night.  Worst case.. you can get water the next morning as u hike near the lake on day 3.

We averaged about 9 miles per day.. 8.5 or so…. be prepared.. it is fairly rugged but there is also lots of nice easy walking. We certainly took our time and spent lots of time at viewpoints.  Some of them much longer then others! Its well worth it to enjoy the views. Blackhead Mountain will be the toughest and longest climb.. morning of day 2.. however.. again, be prepared as there are plenty of other scrambles up and down all throughout this trail.  3 days / 2 nights is very nice for this trail.. if you wanted that extra day you could easily take more time.. just remember.. reliable water at Batavia Kill and Dutcher Notch!!! Thats the key!!! There were other small streams along the way, and puddles too.. but they could be gone in a day..  no promise of water except Batavia Kill and Dutcher Notch.

Hope that helps.. feel free to email me if u need anything else.. [email protected].

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I would also recommend, if you are up to it, at end of trip you will be near Katterskill Falls. I believe it is the highest water falls in NY. You can easily access it via a short trail. However.. there will be PLENTY of people there as it is easy to access and everyone goes to see it. We actually decided to bypass it due to all the traffic and being slightly tired from long day hiking.. but if you are interested,  it is worth a look.. since you dont get to be in this area often!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Thanks for all of the info – Looking at the map on Gaia everything you said makes a lot of sense.  We won’t need a shuttle because we’ll have two cars.  Some of the “ups and downs” were quite apparent in your video – I loved the scene where Mike asked “How the hell am I supposed to get down this?”

Water was my big concern…I tend to drink 5-6 liters a day while hiking and the thought of leaving Batavia Kill with enough for the day, dinner, and breakfast (8-9 liters?) was really daunting.

Thanks again!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

You got it. Anything else.. dont hesitate..

Duncan DeVore
    BPL Member

@ddevore

First time seeing this. A wonderful video, thank you!!! I normally hike the AT (in PA) but have been wanting to checkout trails in NY. Especially the Catskills and Adorondacs. This will be my first hike in the Catskills for sure. Are there any trails you would recommend in the Adorondacs?

Also, what kind of stove setup are you using, never seen that before.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thank you Duncan. Not too familiar with the Adirondacks enough to recommend any trails, sorry.  However, this trail through the Catskills I would totally recommend as many others too. The cookset is my Trail Design 400 ml Ti-Tri.  I was using esbit there. I love that little stove set up when I don’t need much water to boil.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools