Topic

Escalante in January

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Escalante in January

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Four days in the central Escalante last week.  I intended to be out two days longer but a snow-covered mandatory bypass around a dryfall had me backtracking long enough that there weren’t many logical ways to extend the trip, and I hiked out.  A good thing too; a big storm blew in and it was only with the assistance of chains and 4×4 that I got back to pavement at all.

Video here.

It had been over 13 years since I’d been into that part of the Escalante, so some nostalgia was in order.  On the last night I camped in the exact spot my group stayed at in March of 2003, and it was little changed which was nice to see of a site near one of the marquee features in the area.  On the other hand, cattle were in a few sections rampant along the river bottom, and had chewed up extensive sections of vegetation, in a way that reminded me of wild pig damage in Appalachia.  The persistence of grazing leases in those few areas, where they seem wildly inappropriate, is sad to see.

On that last trip we came out and the US had invaded Iraq.  On this one I came out and Trump was president.  As the last mapped river in the lower 48 the Escalante seems like a good place to hide during the end of the world.  Maybe those cattle will come in handy after all.

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

Duplicate…

Marcus Bendixen
    BPL Member

@scandiman-2

Locale: Colorado Springs CO

Always enjoy your trip reports. I’ve found a lot of useful information on Utah thanks to your posts here on BPL. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Can’t wait to read what surprise you have waiting next time you return from canyons in Escalante. Won’t be easy to top this one.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

nice. I’d like to get back there.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I love that area, hopefully I’ll be around this summer.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting back there this spring.

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

David – thanks for posting this. It’s fun to see an off-season report. Agree about cows. Agree about finding refuge in nature when current events are so distressing. SUWA has no shortage of work to do in the coming months and years.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools