Topic

Epic mosquitoes in Colorado high country

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Epic mosquitoes in Colorado high country

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

I just returned from a quick jaunt into one of the state’s wilderness areas, and I was humbled by the ferocity and quantity of mosquitoes.  I have lived in the state my entire life and am no stranger to their pestiferous ways, but this was the worst I’ve ever encountered here, bar none.  Neither DEET nor permethrin-treated clothing nor afternoon breezes slowed down the swarms, and I actually cut the trip short just because there was no letup between 7 a.m. and 9 p.m., and I was covered with bites.  (Yeah, forgot the head net.)   Finally resorted to wearing rain gear just for some armor, but they still found my face.  I am actually researching some of the new Thermacell products, maybe the Radius, which supposedly works at altitude.  I would gladly leave 5 oz of something else at home if that works as claimed.

I guess this is the price we pay for the winter’s high snowfall amounts.  The wildflowers were amazing, though!

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Jenny

How high and where were you?  Down here in the front range and in the Breckenridge area the bugs are scarce at present. Headed to the Weminuche in 2 weeks and wondering.  Thanks.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

I was below Bison Pass at the southern end of the Lost Creek Wilderness, elevation approximately 9,500 ft.  Interestingly enough, I was on a ridge and well above water in a well-drained area with no standing water.  Judging from the empty shelves bare of DEET products in REI today, others might have had similar experiences.  Can’t speak directly to the San Juans, but it would be better to be well-prepared.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I was in the Lost Creek Wilderness about a week ago and was surprised by the mosquitoes. Even at just under 11,000 feet with no visible standing water I was swarmed by them, although it was not Sierra-level bad. One campsite at around 8,500 feet had lots of mosquitoes. Another one at 8,000 feet had much fewer, even though I was in a wetter area (I’m guessing maybe they hatched earlier and died earlier?). On my way back, I car-camped at 7,800 feet North of Pagosa Springs. Had some mosquitoes there as well.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I was in the Raggeds over the 4th.  There were no mosquitoes at the trailhead (9,000 ft.), but we soon ran into moderate mosquitoes for a mile or two, then, around 9,700 feet they disappeared and we didn’t see any more until we returned through the original buggy area. We were surprised that they weren’t worse!  But, I am expecting that most areas will be considerably more buggy than in an average year.

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

Near Crestone, the mosquitoes were terrible.  It wasn’t until we got to 12500ft that they abated.  The San Juans are  bad right now, too.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Such cheery reports!   Seriously, thanks for the info.  Sounds like pulling out all the tricks will be necessary.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Well, this post-trip report will factor into my pre-trip planning for a 5-day trip into Rocky Mtn N.P. later this month.  I will be spraying all outer layers with permethrin; I’ll get a fresh bottle of DEET (perhaps the rub-on stick used last weekend was too old?); I’ve located the head net; and I might try out the new Thermacell  Radius purchased at REI yesterday.  If it works as advertised, it will be amazing.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have used the Thermacell.  Works pretty well but I haven’t taken it backpacking yet, just used it for picnics in the canyon with family.

I will be taking it next week for a short 5 day trip in Wyoming. Word has it the mossies and gnats are alive and well.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I just spent a couple of days in the back country of the Grand Sand Dunes Park.  Its been a long time since I experienced this the huge amount of flying insects.  Bumper crop indeed.  Not just the mosquitoes, but an amazing amount of bees.

Russ Bogardus
    BPL Member

@bogardus

Locale: Colorado Springs

Another trip report on the mosquito condition in the Colorado high country. I took an overnight backpacking/fishing trip in the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness area July 15th and 17th. This area is about 15 miles south of Fairplay. The trip  is a loop 11.2 miles long starting at the Rick Creek Trail Head (approx 10,000) and topping off at about in a meadow at about 12,000 feet. Temperatures varied from roughly 75 F during  the daytime to  about 40 F at night. The mosquitoes weren’t too bad. Many during the day but “Ben’s 100% DEET” kept them away,.Although I brought a headnet I never used it. And slept at night in a tarp/bivy sack combo without using the mosquito netting on the bivy. The mosquitoes disappeared at night.

Cheers,

Russ Bogardus

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Seems like the bad swarms are localized, as one might expect.  I’m headed into Rocky Mtn NP next week and am preparing for the worst, hoping for the best.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Jenny, in addition to the mosquito problems, I think we also need an update on the tick situation here in CO. And please go easy on those fish, their mothers love them I’m sure…

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Jenny, Ron came over to my place this morning to set up his DanDu Mid 1-P tent in preparation for your planned outing Monday in RMNP. I think it’s great that you, he and Mike are doing that trip. I am a bit concerned about the weather you will have in that above-treeline valley. Might be few mosquitoes, but possibly a good amount of lightning. Please be extra careful, girl.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

The mosquitoes are definitely localized.  I’ve dayhiked in the San Juans the last 2 weekends and didn’t see a single mosquito on either hike! The hikes were between 10 and 12 thousand feet.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Just returned from the RMNP high country.  Mosquitos kind of what I would expect for this time of year at 10-11,000 feet, slightly annoying but manageable with 30% DEET or picaridin.  Spraying clothes ahead of time with permethrin was also a good call.  We did see a tick, though, YUCK.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Just returned from 5 days in the Weminuche.  No bugs at all in spite of unbelievable amounts of water, boggy areas and snow.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools