Topic

Epic fishing and hiking around alabama advise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Epic fishing and hiking around alabama advise

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

Going to alabama from Oklahoma in October for some training,plan to take a extra week for some fun.Looking for advice on a awesome hike or two but must have good spin or fly fishing.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

It will be me and a buddy.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I’m not sure Alabama and epic hiking go together in the same sentence.   Sipsey Wilderness is pretty nice, but you have a lot better places in North Georgia and Southeast Tennessee (but I personally would call much of it epic either).  What part of Alabama?

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

GAllant,we would be willing to drive anywhere in Tennessee or could always stop in Arkansas on the way home as well.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Like I said, maybe not Epic, but I like the Savage Gulf (South Cumberland State Park) area in Southeast Tennessee. There are ~90 miles of trails there.   The Firey Gizzard Trail in the same State Park is nice but it’s only an overnighter.

Virgin Falls is a nice place for an overnighter along the Cumberland Plateau, in middle Tennessee.

Of course you have lots of really good stuff in east Tennessee, GSMNP and the Appalachian Trail.  The closest thing to Epic might be Roan Highlands in east Tennessee, but that is A LONG way from Alabama, and not on your drive home.  A hike along the AT through the Smokies would be nice too.

I don’t know anything about Arkansas, but there might be something there that would be serviceable.

Sispsy Wilderness in Alabama is a not a terrible place either.  I haven’t done a trip there in many years, but it is the best place I know of in Alabama proper.  Walls of Jericho is a nice dayhike destination.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

The Cherokee Ridge Alpine Trail around Lake Martin would get you some fishing but only 11 miles max of trail IIRC.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools