Topic

Enlightened Equipment switching to untreated down

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Enlightened Equipment switching to untreated down

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

According to a quilt review posted today on Section Hiker, Enlightened Equipment is in the process of switching from Down-Tek treated down, to untreated down.

While treated down is quality down, we feel it’s beneficial elements are infrequently encountered, potentially overstated, and overshadowed by some of the aforementioned benefits provided by untreated down.

More here:
    https://sectionhiker.com/enlightened-equipment-revelation-20-stock-quilt-review/

EE hasn’t posted this information yet; Philip found out by emailing them.

So maybe treated down isn’t so great after all.

— Rex

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks, Rex. I feel the same way about treated down as EE. While I have used my quilt in cold temps (down below the about 21F they had it tested at) I have found that it always requires some sort of maintenence when I get back from a trip. The down doesn’t move around badly but it does tend to clump up in spots. A run through a dryer fixes this, so the clumping isn’t bad, but the extra hour or two upon return from every trip gets old.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

Didn’t they always offer a choice of treated or untreated?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Axel, no. The past few years, they have only been selling the treated down.

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Has the change already been made? I placed two orders about a week ago and thought I was purchasing untreated down. No where on the site did it say the down was treated.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Quoting from the Section Hiker post linked above (which is all we have right now):

Their current stock inventory has 850 fill power Down-Tek down, while current 850 fill power and 950 fill power custom orders are getting untreated Sustainable Down Source (SDS) down.

— Rex

Ross B
    BPL Member

@rpbeazell

Wrong post

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Thanks Rex. Mine was custom, so that’s probably why it didn’t show up as treated.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I imagine others will follow suit as well. Don’t know how much inventory of down the various suppliers have, but it may take a while to work through it.

I never quite understood the need for treated down but it took less time for some appearant downsides to be found and manufacturers to move away from it.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Yes, I believe they have switched. I went through a few quilts and nowhere was down-tek mentioned.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Also interesting but not highlighted on the EE web site: their 850 fill power down is from ducks, 950 down is from geese and much more expensive. For example, pay $140 more for 950 goose down in an Enigma 0° F XL/XW and save 3.5 ounces.

AFAIK, no difference in performance between duck and goose down of equivalent fill power.

— Rex

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools