Topic

End cap needed for MYOG carbon tent stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear End cap needed for MYOG carbon tent stakes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Locale: London UK, Greenville USA

Hey all,

I’ve been meaning to convert some regular carbon shaft arrows into tent stakes similar to those offered by z-packs and ruta locura. For the pointy end I would simply use standard arrow heads, but I’m looking for some kind of aluminium ferrule or insert which would fit inside the hollow shaft and provide a place for the guyline to hold. Does anyone know where I could obtain something like this?

Zpacks 6.4 inch carbon fiber tent stake for illustration

Samantha R
    BPL Member

@sam-in-juneau

Locale: SE Alaska

Aluminum gutter spikes, perhaps?

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Great idea, thanks! If there happen to be some with the correct diameter that could work really well.

I’d probably cut them short and predrill a little hole through the spike shaft and carbon arrow shaft for a cord to run through, then glue the gutter spike end in place.

Your suggestion also made me think of an alternative. There are many alloy bolts sold as ultralight cycling components. All different sizes & heads, metric and imperial. With just the right size one could even try using a tap & die to add very small threads to the carbon shaft. May help it hold a lot better when glued.

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

I’ve used nylon screws for this purpose (similar to these: https://tinyurl.com/ybulbr29 ). Light, easy to work with, durable enough.

james
    BPL Member

@jamesbhikes

Thanks Jan. That looks like a good option and is possibly the cheapest/lightest. Did you glue them in place and/or add a thread to the shaft they were fitted to?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools