Topic

Elemental Horizons Kalais XT Pack Limited Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Elemental Horizons Kalais XT Pack Limited Review

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Backpacking Light
    Admin

@backpackinglight

Locale: Rocky Mountains

The Elemental Horizons Kalais XT backpack (42.8 oz, $336) is a 60.4-liter pack meant to handle the harshest and most rugged conditions.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

Glad to see a write up on this pack as I just ordered one!  It would be nice to see photos of the internal suspension system.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Looks like an interesting, well made pack. Tanks.

Boy that waist belt looks W I D E! (and hot).

I’d like to see the back view. After several years of using an Osprey pack with a mesh trampoline I’m a big fan of a breathable back panel.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

Seeing a more detailed view of the internal suspension would definitely be awesome. Wondering if anyone has used this as well as the ULA Catalyst and can provide any comparison/insights between the two.

Brian Jones
    BPL Member

@jonesbr

Did you happen to test the hip belt pockets?  They are mentioned, but not shown.  I was curious as to how they held up.

I purchased the similar Aquilo pack in 2015 for my CT hike, and absolutely loved the suspension design.  The design was lighter then than it is now, but it remains the best riding pack I’ve ever tried.  Unfortunately, I had 2 sets of size large hip belt pockets fail over the next few years in exactly the same fashion – separation along the zipper.  Matthew was very helpful and provided the second set of pockets for free, and I was actually talking with him about a 3rd set when a combination of frustration and life getting in the way resulted in my not following through.  I should probably email Matthew again directly, especially as I think he was working a solution, but I was curious as to whether you saw similar issues?

For what it’s worth, I still love the pack design, though my Aquilo is now relegated to light duty because the Aluminum stay is starting to show through the fabric at one of the top 2 corners where the stay makes a 90 deg bend.  My pack probably only has 400 miles on it, which is not as great as I was expecting, though I have to say that the rest of the pack is virtually unblemished.  (My hiking has been in CO, UT, and AZ, and hasn’t always been on-trail.)

Thanks!

Ivo Vanmontfort
    BPL Member

@ivo

This review confuses me.

When I see the two photos of the tester, I think the back length is too short to make a good evaluation of the wearing comfort.Looks the loadlifters have no function.
    But on the site of elemental horizons you can read the following:

We have found that, particularly with our framed packs, for individuals who are in between sizes it is best to choose the smaller frame size.  If you choose to go up to the larger size, most times the shoulder straps do not wrap over the top of the shoulder, which can upset the balance of the pack, and the stay is too tall and can interfere with your head’s natural range of motion. 

How does that image looks?

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

I used the original Kalais for 4 years and the new version for the last 3, both great packs the new suspension is definitely a step up but in weight too.  I detail the suspension and the packs in my piece on lightweight load carriers.  Matthew is great to work with.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Some how my link did not work,  here it is again.

Here is close up of how the stay integrates with the hip belt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools