Topic

Elemental Horizons Kalais re-designed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Elemental Horizons Kalais re-designed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Matthew has just released the new Kalais and Aquillo packs with redesigned suspensions and the options of X-Pac or a 300/400D diamond ripstop.  Now rated to 45# capacity.  Unfortunately they have gone up in weight too, like most redesigns, 31 oz. for a large to 41 oz.

The stay now is integrated into the hipbelt like the Gossamer Gear packs amongst other changes. This is from Matthew
    <div dir=”auto”>”The new suspension is awesome.  It is still based around the original V stay,  but the way in which the stay interfaces with the pack has changed completely.  The stay is now on the outside of the pack,  behind the back pad and connects directly to the hip belt.  The top of the stay fits into a pocket at the top of the pack,  and the load lifters still attach directly to the top of the stay.  As for the shoulder straps,  they are now on a separate yoke assembly that has a couple of sleeves on the back that the stay slides through.  Adjustable torso length is achieved through a series of Velcro panels on the pack body and back pad.</div>
    <div dir=”auto”></div>
    <div dir=”auto”>The weight increase comes from several factors,  primarily the addition of a stiffener in the hip belt, the thicker padding in all the body contact areas and I have upgraded to a more durable 300/400d rip stop nylon throughout the whole pack.  I don’t recall your torso size,  but given the 10oz increase you mention I assume it is large.  The other factor in that torso size is wider longer shoulder straps and a good sized increase in volume.  The large torso pack has the volume of the old XL torso size.  I still offer the 70d fabric in a custom build capacity,  it would shave maybe 3 oz. “</div>

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Interesting. My custom Aquilo is my most used pack. Love the way it carries. I wonder how much the changes effect the carry.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I feel perplexed about this. I don’t mind a little added weight if it brings a benefit, however, one of the reasons I love the Kalais was my large with hipbelt pockets only weighed 34oz and could carry 35 pounds. I’m also not a fan of more volume

Is he changing his demographic? It seems more backpackers are looking for lighter gear. Some manufacturers are going the opposite direction.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Thomas I have mixed feelings about it too.  He improved some things I didn’t like (no spacer mesh on the lumbar area) and the increased carry weiight is good for folks like me who do a fair amount of desert walking with big water carries but i don’t need more room and not sure about a stiffer hipbelt but maybe it is just near the back to work with the stay now integrated to the belt or the thicker shoulder straps.

I am going to try to get down to see him this summer and try one on to see.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools