Topic

EE enigma

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) EE enigma

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

I’m thinking of purchasing an EE enigma 20 degree quilt.  EE has switched to untreated down for their quilts.  I’m wondering if I should be purchasing something else that has water resistant down.  Thanks for the help

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have both and never really noticed a difference.  I will say EE quilts, Enigma have been great quilts for me. Where do you plan to use it? What weather conditions? Under a small tarp? In a tent? Cowboy camping?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I trust natural down more than something that has been chemically treated.  There are many decades of experience with untreated down showing it performing well and having very long life…can’t say that about treated down.  If you are worried about water ingress, I think the water repelancy of the outer fabric would be more important…prevent the moisture from entering in the first place.

I have both a 30* Revelation and an 10* Enigma and agree with dirtbag, they are great quilts.

Zack L
    BPL Member

@zloomis

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends make some of the best down products available and they don’t use treated down for anything. Nunatak wrote up a article on their website noting that the treated down will degrade quicker and lose performance so while the performance may be better initially over the long term untreated down (that is properly cared for) will likely perform better or at least more consistently.

Robert I
    BPL Member

@bob-i

Thanks for the feedback. I do most of my trips in the Sierra and Trinity Alps between mid June and early September. Mostly July and August. In the late winter/spring we will sometimes go to the Northern California coast. I have both a  GG twin tarp and a Durston x-mid which I switch depending on conditions. Don’t cowboy camp often, but planning to get a Borah gear bivy that I can use under the tarp or for cowboy camping. I sleep a little to the cold side of normal, but not particularly cold. I have been trying to decide between 10 or 20 degrees. Also, thoughts on a draft collar. For an extra $10 it is a no brainer, but I see ee started their holiday sale  and stock gear is now 10% less. So the price difference is 10%+$10.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

PS.. Borah Gear makes great gear! From bivies to tarps..

Sharon M
    BPL Member

@arkheel1

Locale: Central North Carolina

Here’s a quote from Nunatak’s website.

“Fall 2020 update: The quality and lofting ability of our treated HyperDry goose down is now on par with regular down, and we therefore apply the same amount to all products. We are in the process of updating all specs on the site.”

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

I strongly agree with the majority of respondents above.  Personally, I would not purchase treated down. Many business more knowledgeable than I are. not supportive of it.  I am also skeptical of the practical benefit even if it does provide that rather small amount of resistance that is claimed. I also have high confidence in Nunatak and have some of their stuff, but I still wouldn’t go treated.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

I think the Nunatak statement is initial loft between treated vs untreated is essentially the same….but doesn’t address how durable the treated down will be in comparison to untreated over time. I opted for untreated in my Nunatak and other premier companies (Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, Valandre, El Coyote) only offer untreated.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools