Topic

Echo Lake, Over Look Mountain Catskills NY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Echo Lake, Over Look Mountain Catskills NY

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

YouTube video

Just a short overnight backpacking trip up Over Look Mountain and to Echo Lake in the Catskills,  NY.

We passed the “Ruins” and then took a short trail to the Fire Tower and Over Look Mt view point. We then headed down about 2 miles or so to Echo Lake. It was a wet, muddy and very rocky trail but the area around the lake is quit beautiful,  being surrounded on all sides with the mountains. It is about a mile loop around the lake with plenty of primitive camp sites available.. also a very serene section of pines that feels like you are in a fairy tale.. with a fairly large double beaver damn  in there too. There were a few beaver lodges in the lake and plenty of beaver activities in the area. Echo Lake is known for its beaver population,  also numerous black bear sightings and many coyote sightings, unfortunately for us we did not witness anything except for some beaver splashing in the lake overnight. For this trip,  i left my hammock home and decided to get some use with my Nemo Hornet 1 P tent. I still love my hammock and I did miss it dearly!!

On our hike out the next day, we did get caught in a short, nasty hail storm as we crossed from Echo Lake to Over Look Mt.  Goes to show you, anything weather wise can happen at any time in the Catskills, as I have witnessed many times over all my years trekking thru.

Please check out the short trip video i posted for better visual of the area.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Nice!

What was your total mileage? I’m looking for something “quick” that’s not in Harriman, for a change. I’m waiting on the NYNJ-TC map set for the Catskills to arrive; it looks like our local REI is not stocking them at present.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

It was about 5.5 miles each way.. that is including the short half mile to to fire tower and look out point.  Real easy trail.. from the parking lot.. up hill about 2 miles.. but not technical at all. A lot of day hikers in that area.. to the ruins and fire tower, but heading down to the lake was peaceful and less traveled trail.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Fun video.   We used to live near the St Lawrence River.  I never had a chance to see the Catskills but I really miss that part of the country.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks. Not sure where St. Lawrence river is..?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

About an hour and a half north of Syracuse.   Separates NY from Canada.   Thousand islands.   Supposedly the salad dressing was conceived of in my town.   I’m sure there are a dozen NY villages that would also claim that

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

@Dirtbag – I finally got around to watching your video – Thanks for posting.  I’ll admit to being quite envious of your ability to make the time to get out as often as you do.  I know it’s not a matter of “finding” time – it’s a deliberate act to “make” the time.  I’m also thoroughly impressed that I don’t see more eye-rolls when you catch your son on video – it’s great that the two of you get that time together.  Thanks again!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Your tour of the ruins intrigued me (as did the change of music when you entered the ruins) and I found this link to the history of the Overlook Mountain House if anyone is interested.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

That was fun to watch, thanks for taking the time to post.  :-)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Thanks guys. I wish i could get out more, but when i do get that window.. even if its for 1 night.. i make it happen.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools