Topic

Easton Tent Pole For MLD Duomid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Easton Tent Pole For MLD Duomid

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

(I know this question has been asked before but I could’t find a clear answer.) I am making a tent pole for my MLD Duomid. I am making this pole because I need the pole to break down short enough to fit in my bicycle pannier. The plan is to make a 5 section aluminum pole. I must decide between a pole diameter of .490 or .625. Everything I have read stated that .625 was needlessly overkill and that .490 was borderline stiff enough. Does anyone have first hand experience?

I would much prefer to use .490 but I want to know if it will be sufficiently strong.

My bicycle tour is quickly approaching and so I do not have time to experiment nor do I have the funds to purchase both. Thanks!

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

It’s pretty unlikely that the .490 will actually fail on you, but it will be a touch more flexible and that means that you cannnot get quite as tight a pitch. Which in turn means more flap in the wind, more noise in the night.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Why the panniers and not along the bar> the longer the sections the stronger the unit as a whole and if my Megamid poles are anything to go on I would be using the biggest Easton pole available as even .625 is not all that strong in  real blow and the diffence in weight is marginal. Yes I know this is BPL but a single pole structure puts a lot of load on the pole.

Can you make a hybrid using .625 in the middle where the bending force is greatest and .490 for the ends?

I’m assuming yoy do not have time to fabricate a carbon fibre pole set?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools